1 2 3 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2008 1:06 PM by Travler

Virusscan Enterprise 8.5i Patch 6.1

metalhead
      Check out the link from McAfee:

https://knowledge.mcafee.com/SupportSite/dynamickc.do?externalId=616311&sliceId= SAL_Public&command=show&forward=nonthreadedKC&kcId=616311

Did not check if it is already available for download ... amd I have never seen a patch named x.1 wink
        • 1. Patch 6.1 Resolved Issues
          iT4S ALREADY AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD SITE

PATCH 6.1 RESOLVED ISSUES

1. ISSUE:
          An issue can occur when the 5300 engine is
          installed prior to installing VirusScan 8.5i
          Patch 6. The scanner engine files are partially
          overwritten with the previous 5200 version that
          is stored in the MSI cache. This mismatch
          causes the scanner engine to fail to
          initialize.

RESOLUTION:
          The Patch installation package has been updated
          to correct this issue, and does not overwrite
          the engine files.
          • 2. RE: Patch 6.1 Resolved Issues
            An important note from the article mentioned above;:

You'll see a statement which says:
            Do not attempt to install Patch 6.1 after installing Patch 6.0. Also see KnowledgeBase article [b]616355.
            Install Patch 6.1 rather than Patch 6, if you are running the 5300 Engine.[/b]

Primarily, Patch 6.1 is not necessary unless you already have the 5300 scan engine installed which most of us don't have at this time and if you attempt to install it over Patch #6, you'll generally receive and error indicate the version has previously been installed. Install Patch 6.1 ONLY if you already have 5300 on the machine and have not previously install Patch 6..

Hope this helps.

Grif
            • 3. RE: Virusscan Enterprise 8.5i Patch 6.1
              We haven't gone to 6.0 yet but are still on 5200.....so 6.1 should be ok for us correct?
              • 4. RE: Virusscan Enterprise 8.5i Patch 6.1
                Well, In your case, there's no need to go to 6.1 although it won't hurt anything.. At this point, install the original Patch #6 version.. As mentioned above, the only reason to install 6.1 is if the 5300 scan engine has previously been installed.

Hope this helps.

Grif
                • 5. RE: Virusscan Enterprise 8.5i Patch 6.1
                  What should you do if you're on the 5200 engine and have patch 6 installed?
                  • 6. RE: Virusscan Enterprise 8.5i Patch 6.1
                    metalhead
                    Nothing, you can just upgrade the engine to 5300.
                    • 7. Help! Please!
                      I am writing in concern to the new Virus Scan 5300 engine. I checked the package in on my server and then I went to a lab machine and pressed update now. Well when I did this, the machine went through the update process, but did not start VirusScan Enterprise back up. So I thought maybe this is because I have to add the patch 6.1 to my server as well. I am writing to see if anyone can help me out with my problem along with asking where I need to go to download patch 6.1.

Thanks for all help,
                      reaster
                      • 8. RE: Help! Please!
                        Seems ok from Patch 5 it does slow the machine to a crawl whilst it installs which I've never seen a Mcafee patch do before
                        • 9. RE: Help! Please!
                          Westmill

I've had problems installing patch 6.1 (from patch 5 or earlier). What appears to happen is that it creates a new McShield Process ok, but has problems removing the old mcshield process.

Normally CPU is at 1-2% and memory around 50MB. the memory reduces down to around 7MB, but the CPU will rise to 100% (probably because of the reduced memory) - but it never removes the process.

I kill the old process, and everything's ok again.

Bob
                          1 2 3 Previous Next