4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 12:29 PM by Dvanmeter

Emergency Boot and Blue Screen

Dvanmeter

We have been using Mcafee Endpoint encryption for many years now.  It used to be when we first started using it that if you had corruption errors when synching or needed to bypass EEPC for some reason we would use the safetech disk and do an emergency boot.  This use to work ok for us, but I have noticed now that in most cases when doing an emergency boot on a machine it ends up killing the encryption and the system no longer will boot,  it will just error with a 92h error.   We have tested this on encrypted machine that have no problems and the result is the same,  encryption seems to be killed and a 92h error persist on the bootup.  Anyone else experiencing this or have any insight to the problem or change.

• 1. Re: Emergency Boot and Blue Screen

You should never get a 92h after doing an eboot, as it does not use that code at all. Maybe subsequent boots though if you have something like an mbr root kit on your machine though - that would be possible?

• 2. Re: Emergency Boot and Blue Screen
            Dvanmeter

We have been able to duplicate this on a freshly installed and freshly encrypted machine.  Everything is working fine, as a test we do an emergency boot from the safetech disk after entering in the code of the day, then authenticating to the local safeboot file system.  System no longer boots up and will give a 92 error.  This is on more than one machine.  We have removed the emergency boot proccess completely since we have hosed several machines.

• 3. Re: Emergency Boot and Blue Screen

You can't do an eBoot authenticating locally - I'm not sure that will ever work. You need to use the SDB file if you want to do an eBoot as it needs the original MBR.

• 4. Re: Emergency Boot and Blue Screen
                Dvanmeter

It will allow you too.  it asks if it is a windows xp or windows 7 device.  I am assuming that by selecting either xp or the 7 option it tells it which sector to hit for booting.  We will test with a sdb file. Our Helpdesk is telling me it primarly does this on Windows 7 machines, but cant confirm wether they have seen this on xp systems.