6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2011 6:28 AM by asabban

IPv6

I noticed that webwasher now has IPv6 support.  Im looking for info on how this is implemented, how and when IPv6 is used versus IPv4.

e.g. An IPv4 client requests a URL that is only IPv6. Assuming my proxy has IPv6 connectivity will it use IPv6 to retrieve the site over IPv6 and then return it to my IPv4 client?

What are the order of preferences used with IPv4 and IPv6

Thanks.

• 1. Re: IPv6
          asabban

Hi Lance,

did you see this Blog post by Michael?

https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/email_web/webgateway/blog/2010/0 9/16/talking-to-two-worlds-ipv4-and-ipv6

I guess it can answer some questions already.

Best,

Andre

• 2. Re: IPv6

Thanks Andre,

It helps a little but doesnt have the specific information i was looking for.  We are planning a phased approach starting with internet facing infrastructure to allow us native ipv6 internet connectivity but internally ipv4 will be around for a little while yet.  i want to make sure that my ipv4 clients can reach an ipv6 website.  Will V7 use native v6 and return it back to the client with native v4?

• 3. Re: IPv6
              asabban

Hi Lance,

this is how I interpret the statement:

"As result of our consideration we decided to become a bridge between the worlds and enable organizations to still keep an interal IPv4 network for their convenience, but to talk to IPv6 enabled networks on the other side in order to make sure that they can connect to the internet even when it would change to IPv6 at one point of time."

Meaning for me that you have IPv4 on all of your clients and one IPv4 address on MWG which is addressed by the clients. MWG has an additional IPv6 address. In case you request www.google.com from your Client, the request will be sent to MWG to its IPv4 address. MWG performs a DNS lookup and eventually gets an IPv6 address back. Because MWG is IPv6 capable it knows how to talk to the IPv6 host and retrieve the content, which will then played back to the (IPv4) Client.

Is this what you are looking for?

Best,

Andre

• 4. Re: IPv6

yes thats how i interpret it aswell i think i was just looking for a statement or technote saying this more directly so its not open to interpretation.

• 5. Re: IPv6
                  asabban

Hi Lance,

yes I understand.

I think someone will know for sure, but I have to check.

Best,

Andre

• 6. Re: IPv6
                    asabban

Hi Lance,

this will work as we expected.

Limitations are:

- This won´t work with IP spoofing turned on (which makes sense I guess)

- We do not support NAT64, which should not be a problem in a forward proxy environment

Best,

Andre