8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 5:29 AM by angelmystry

are mcafee total protection and mcafe security center the same?

i have mcafee antivirus plus 2010 which real time scanning automtically turned off and i tried a lot to turn it on through many methods discussed in this forum but it failed so i uninstalled it and reinstalled it. while reinstalling it didn't ask the product key while i have the product key and i was expecting that.Now, after reinstalling it mcafee total protection screen that used to appear after clicking on mcafee logo has been replaced by mcafe security center.  what is happening? i don't feel like i am having mcafee antivirus. are mcafee total protection and mcafee security center the same? please help me out to sort this problem.

• 1. Re: are mcafee total protection and mcafe security center the same?
          Mohan

Hi Angelmystry,

To help you better pleasde let me know if you installed the products from the website by logging in to your account. If so then you might have completed a web install and might have the latest version of mcafee installed on you machine.

The way it works is that once you install from CD for the first time and complete you registration. McAfee automatically creates a web account for you through which you can download the products any time without the CD.

If you still have some doubt about the product installed . Kindly share the security center screen shot and the version numbers on it from the "about" section. I can confirm that for you.

• 2. Re: are mcafee total protection and mcafe security center the same?

thanks for the response mohan,

actually i have the mcafee antivirus plus 2010 cd and i have reinstalled from the cd only not by logging into my mcafee account. i had tried to download mcafee product from web account also but it took so much time i couldn't take it anymore so i cancelled it.

The main thing i wanted to know is that why the mcafee total protection screen bar is not appearing and from where the hell the security center screen bar has come out. is that normal to have or am i doing mistake in reinstalling the mcafee from cd. And, do you have any idea to regain mcafee total protction screen bar again other than installing it from web account. hope i get the answer soon.thnks...

• 3. Re: are mcafee total protection and mcafe security center the same?
              Mohan

HI Angelmystery,

I think it's just the change of version that is confusing you. Can you share the screenshot of the security center so that I can confirm. If you have got the latest version of security center i dont think you can regain the older security center screen.

• 4. Re: are mcafee total protection and mcafe security center the same?

hello tthere,

this is the screen shot of security center i am getting now..is there any file corrupt of my antivirus cd so antivirus plus screen bar is not coming..please help.

• 5. Re: are mcafee total protection and mcafe security center the same?
                  Mohan

Hi Angelmystery,

I reviewed the screen shot that you sent and what you have is McAfee, but it is the older version of McAfee. What happened was the CD contains older version of Mcafee on it and since you used the CD for installing it has installed the older version on the computer.

You will automatically get upgraded to latest version in sometime. If you wish to get the latest version immediately then you may have to uninstall this version and reinstall the products from the website.

Previously you product got upgraded and thats why you have a differnt looking security center before you tried reinstalling it.

• 6. Re: are mcafee total protection and mcafe security center the same?

hi,

thanks for the reply.but i still didn't get that before i installed this mcaffe from the cd , mcafee total protection screen bar came into run but now after uninstalling and reinstalling it from the same cd, neither asked for product key and suddenly why the screen bar got changed into mcafee security center? it didn't happen in the case when i had kaspersky and other antivirus and these antivirus cd used to ask for product key whenever i reinstalled it. i got this mcafee totally confusing and complicated.  When i tried to install from website, it stops in the middle and says cannot continue,may be due to low internet speed.so i don't know i will be able to install from website.  And, yes this security center says that identity protection, spam protection, content blocking is not installed in computer and there is link to get full protection but that too doesn't work.

so please, kindly let me know Will i get the mcafee total protection screen bar after some days or weeks or no? will it ask to upgrade? or this is it?

Thnks.

Message was edited by: angelmystry on 9/19/11 4:40:27 AM CDT
                    • 7. Re: are mcafee total protection and mcafe security center the same?
                      Mohan

Hi Angelmystery,

Please wait for some weeks and you will get the latest version of McAfee on your machine. CD built for Mcafee contains only the version it gets packed with and not the latest version . so after few weeks you should get upgraded automatically.

• 8. Re: are mcafee total protection and mcafe security center the same?

hi there,

thanks a lot for all your replies to my question. Today, my mcafee got upgraded and i am happy to get it. The waiting idea was correct and it asked today to upgrade and it took just a while to do it.Thnks again..