1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 14, 2011 11:08 AM by sliedl

Port identification on MFE Sidewinder 410F

Hello community. I beg your indulgence as I am a new firewall administrator and am learning about my new 410F appliance.

My questions.

Part 1

The port identification documentation identifies the internal and external ethernet ports. I have determined that these are em0: and em1: respectively from an ifconfig command. I still have 4 more ethernet ports which I am assuming are ports em2: through em5: respectively. After searching the documentation it appears that these ethernet ports can be administratively configured as additional internal network burbs.

Is this correct? Can anyone tell me where to look in the documentation to help find this explanation?

Part 2

There are an additional two ethernet ports configured over and under on the back of the appliance that I am guessing are bge0: and bge1: I am also guessing that these two ports are used when bridging two networks for a transparent firewall mode.

Is this correct? Can anyone tell me where to look in the documentation to help me find this explanation?

Thanks in advance to all help.

R

• 1. Re: Port identification on MFE Sidewinder 410F
          sliedl

The firewall comes imaged from our production group.  By default there is an Admin Console rule which permits you to connect with the GUI to the internal port of the firewall (after you've done the Quick Start portion of the install).  The port identification guide tells you which port is internal so you can connect with the GUI to that port and which port is external so you can hook that port up to your external switch.

All the ports, including the bge ports, can be used for additional internal network burbs.  You can put any two ports into a bridge for transparent firewall mode (not just the bge ports).

The em ports (on the expansion NIC) do not necessarily go in order from em0 to em5, left to right.  You need to plug a cable into a port and run 'cf int stat' on the command-line or click the 'Show Status' button in the upper-right of the Interfaces GUI screen to determine which port has a status of 'Conn/u' or 'Conn/d'.  Note which port that is (em2, em3, etc.).  Do this for each port to determine which ports are which in the configuration.