6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2011 10:38 AM by asabban

Priority download and torrents download

gizmagis

I was wondering if it also possible with MWG to regulate download priority ? For example, several people are downloading simultaneously and I would like someone to have bigger priority than someoneelse. Another example could be also on a computer where user is downloading torrents and at the same time downloads something from web (browser). Is it possible to give downloading from browser bigger priority ?

Is it possible (and how) to transfer torrents downloads also through MWG, especialy for antimalware rule ?

Regards,

Gregor

• 1. Re: Priority download and torrents download
          gizmagis

Anybody has idea, is it possible or complitelly impossible ? what about torrents ?

thnx,

Gregor

• 2. Re: Priority download and torrents download
            asabban

Hi Gregor,

there may be some options, but actually there is no pre-defined ruleset that I am aware of. You can use the "Throttle" Events to define how fast a download should run. Combined with other properties you should be able to "limit" the speed of a download to (for example) 50 kb/s if the download is of a specific size, from a specific user, etc.

I am not sure whether torrents are going through MWG via HTTP - if they do you should be able to limit them as well. If they don´t pass the HTTP proxy you won´t be able to limit them, since MWG is "only" dealing with FTP/HTTP protocols, not on plain TCP - in this case a firewall/traffic shaper should be able to do what you are looking for.

This are some things I can think of. Maybe you want to look into the Throttle Events and let us know whether this is helpful for you?

Best,

Andre

• 3. Re: Priority download and torrents download
              gizmagis

Hi,

Thank you for helpfull answer. I was just checking if there could be an option in MWG that could limit traffic based on application (IE, FF, Chrome, uTorrent, etc.)

About torrents, could be an option to check torrents traffic the same way as HTTP ? Let say that I open one port especially for torrents, use this port in torrent program and configure port redirects (under proxies) to redirect port xyz to 9090 (the same way as http 80 and 443) are redirected. is this possible or hilarious option

Regards,
              Gregr

• 4. Re: Priority download and torrents download
                asabban

Hi Gregor,

I quickly had  a look and there are two kinds of torrents as far as I understood now:

a.) "classic" torrents

They use a non HTTP compatible protocol, the "bittorrent" protocol. You won´t be able to send this through MWG, as it would see that this is no real HTTP data, and will drop it with an error message. It will limit torrents in a way that they will no longer work :-)

b.) "webseeds"

It seems that the torrent network also utilizes HTTP/FTP for some of the transferred files. In this case a client will access the data via Port 80/443 or 21, and (in your transparent setup) the traffic will automatically run through MWG, since the ports are redirected to the proxy. So each Throttle rule you configure would automatically take place.

That´s what I found... unforuntately I can´t give a guarantee on this.

Best,

Andre

• 5. Re: Priority download and torrents download
                  gizmagis

Hi Andre,

I was afraid that your answer would be like the one you provided under a.). It would be a great feature if MWG could also scan torrents traffic (bittorrent, utorrent, etc).

Thank you anyway !

Gregor

• 6. Re: Priority download and torrents download
                    asabban

Hi Gregor,

this would require a feature modification request (FMR), to make people aware of your wishes. To find out how to file one please see

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60021

Best,

Andre