Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
7045 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2012 4:28 AM by Peacekeeper RSS
tory Newcomer 1 posts since
Feb 15, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 13, 2011 2:57 PM

Firewall shuts self off and redirect virus

I seem to be having two problems with McAfee.  First of all my personal firewall has shut itself off and can not be turned back on.  When I go into Firewall settings it gives me buttons for Done, Turn On and Restore Defaults.  None of the buttons work.  Secondly, I can not do any searches with out being redirected to bogus search pages. I have run McAfee virus scan which didn't find anything. I ran McAfee Virtual Technician and it says that my Personal Firewall McAfee Security Center 12.0.338 has a problem and id's the problem as "service(s) not running (1)" and is unable to fix it.  McAfee Virtual Technician Session ID 35019832.   I ran McAfee Stinger and it also found no problems.   I used to have Norton AntiVirus but that was removed by McAfee and they are the ones who set up my McAfee Security Suite as there were problems installing it initially. 

My McAfee info is:

McAfee Security Center

Version 11.0

Build 11.05.578

Affld 105

Last updated 8/26/2011

McAfee Virus Scan

Version 15.0

Build 15.0.291

Last update 9/13/2011

DAT Versian 6467

DAT creation date 9/12/2011

McAfee Personal Firewall

Version 12.0

Build 12.0.338

Last Update 8/24/2011

McAfee SiteAdvisor

Version 3.4

Build 3.4.0/143

Affld 0

Last update 8/30/2011

McAfee Anti-Spam

Version 12.0

Build 12.0.292

Last update 8/24/2011

Content version 3979

Engine Version 2.2.0.9286

McAfee QuickClean and Shredder

Version 11.0

Build 11.0.393

Last update 8/24/2011

My McAfee subscription just renewed on 8/11/2011 for $74.19 so I am very unhappy that McAfee is now not working properly.  Any help greatly appreciated.  I need these viruses gone!

• Jaheira Apprentice 152 posts since
    Mar 19, 2010
    1. Sep 20, 2011 7:43 PM (in response to tory)
    Re: Firewall shuts self off and redirect virus

Try downloading and installing Malwarebytes and give your machine a full scan to see if it picks anything up.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

• cburkeyb Newcomer 3 posts since
    Oct 5, 2011
    2. Oct 5, 2011 10:49 AM (in response to tory)

im having the same problem, ive done everything short of a ful re-install of windows.  malware bytes keeps catching suspicious connections (that mcafee does not) but neither windows firewall or mcafee firewall will turn on (update: the MCshield home screen is says firewall is on until you click on settings. then it says it is off, and the green "your computer is secure" banner is always up. windows security recognises it as "on" but the mcafee technician lists it as "off" . it also seems that a vital firewall process is missing (mdsdrv.sys) (windows firewall wont turn on either, error code 0x8007042c ) . i got this computer a month ago and mcafee was installed within 10 minutes, i have never shut it off and keep up with the auto updates. i bought this software so i wouldnt have to waste time like this...

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,590 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    3. Oct 5, 2011 12:03 PM (in response to cburkeyb)

If you're trying to run with two firewalls operating, that might be a problem. Switch off the Windows Firewall and reboot.

The missing .sys file : have you run MVT to check your McAfee installation? This is not a McAfee file, but is the (Windows) Firewall Authorisation Driver. Other posts about this problem indicate that its "missing" status is sometimes a side-effect of having two firewalls running concurrently.

Occasionally this is malware-related, so it wouldn't hurt to check that Windows and McAfee are up to date and then run a Quick Scan. Let us know if you still have the same problem afterwards.

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
    Oct 5, 2011
    4. Oct 5, 2011 1:27 PM (in response to Hayton)

hayton -

thank you for your time, the windows firewall is off, and i understand it is not directly a mcafee problem, i learned of that when i tried uninstalling mcafee, i tried to turn on windows firewall before i tried re-installing the antivirius suite. all software is up to date, my main concern is that the mcafee home screen states that all is OK (real time scanning, updates, firewall, subscription) but when i click on the firewall setings it says OFF and if i click to turn it on, it simply turns off immediately. virtual technician comes up with 4 errors, all show up as "unable to repair" it seems like some malware has bypassed or corrupted the very software i bought to avoid that, i would like to avoid reinstalling windows, or purchasing a different AV program and simply giving up on mcafee...

Product Name

:SiteAdvisor
    Product Version:3.4.143
    Language:en-us
    Partner:0
                Health Check Details         
                      Registry                                      OK                   
                      File                3 file(s) incorrect                     
                                    Expected File not Present                             
    c:\program files (x86)\mcafee\siteadvisor\elist.dat
    c:\program files (x86)\mcafee\siteadvisor\components\imcffplg.xpt
    c:\program files (x86)\mcafee\siteadvisor\components\mcffplg.dll

and:

ervice                1 service(s) incorrect                     
                                    Expected Service State Incorrect                             
                                Expected : running
                                Existing : stopped
                                Service :                            McMPFSvc "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc
                                    Expected Service Startup type Correct                             
                                Service : McMPFSvc "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc

Message was edited by: cburkeyb on 10/5/11 1:27:59 PM CDT
    Oct 5, 2011
    5. Oct 5, 2011 1:29 PM (in response to cburkeyb)

i have also run stinger (and tried malwarebytes) to no avail.

• thecreator Veteran 1,132 posts since
    Nov 6, 2003
    6. Oct 5, 2011 2:41 PM (in response to cburkeyb)

cburkeyb wrote:

i have also run stinger (and tried malwarebytes) to no avail.

Hi cburkeyb,

Have you tried installing Spybot Search and Destroy?   http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

It is free.

Have you tried TuneUp Utilities? http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

15 Days Free Trial.

Have you tried calling McAfee Support? It is now free World-wide.

=== thecreator - One of the people, that has a very good memory.

See the McAfee Builds I am running at: https://community.mcafee.com/groups/mcafee-total-protection-beta/blog

TheCreator's Installations

Don't forget to Vote: https://community.mcafee.com/ideas/1341
    Like to See a Way to Limit CPU Usage for Real-Time Scanning
  • chrisj2004 Newcomer 1 posts since
    Aug 10, 2012
    7. Aug 10, 2012 6:16 PM (in response to tory)

Im having the same issues as the original poster. I tried the Stinger and it didnt catch anything. My firewall just shuts off by itself whenever it feels like it. As a long time user of McAfee products since 1996, I think it might be time to try something new.

Sure hope they find the issue and fix it.

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,347 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    8. Aug 11, 2012 4:28 AM (in response to chrisj2004)

Try some of teh other scanners here

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

Also go to start run and type services.msc and navigate to the windows firewall service and make sure it is set to started and automatic.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points