1 2 3 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 12:12 PM by SafeBoot

92h error + 0xe002001b unable to find system boot disk - HELP PLEASE -

Hi,

I´ve been having headaches for the last 3 1/2 weeks since my hsrd drive from ane day to the other decided to fail. Then I found it was because of the Encryption, On one of the boots I got the 92h on others the HDD was not recognized. I pulled the HDD out and used a SATA to USB adapter and was able to see the HDD on the Hard Disk Drives under the device manager, Then I got from HP the Wintech which I tried to use.

I tried, before getting the daily code, authenticating from SBFS and I am getting an 0xe002001b Unable to find the system boot disk error.

I tried for a whole week and got the daily code and when I tried to authenticate from the HP Recovery File, I was never able to find that .dat file.

I am totally lost on where to go, on the failed disk I had Win7 on a 320 SATA HDD running on an Intel Core i5.

Any ideas on what else I can do? I gotta return the failed HDD soon, so I dont have much time...

Thanks!

• 1. Re: 92h error + 0xe002001b unable to find system boot disk - HELP PLEASE -
          rbdudani

as there is no PBA (preboot - I have concluded this because you are getting 92h error)

you will require SDB file from Safeboot Management center.  Do you have that ?

• 2. Re: 92h error + 0xe002001b unable to find system boot disk - HELP PLEASE -

if you don't have your .dat file (it was written to a USB stick when you activated the encryption), I'm afraid all your data is lost. There are only two ways to access the data, your user name and password, and the recovery information.

Without a working disk, or the recovery file, the information cannot be retrieved - this is security software after all.

If the hard disk is not recognized (ie, no drive letter etc), then it's a physical problem - it's nothing to do with the encryption software.

but, to use Wintech, you need to call HP (this is the HP product after all) - I can tell you though that I doubt it will work if you are slaving the drive - you need to be booting off the WinTech CD with the drive in the original machine. That's how it works.

No dat file though, no chance of recovery.

• 3. Re: 92h error + 0xe002001b unable to find system boot disk - HELP PLEASE -

Hi. Hey rbdudani, how can I get that SDB file and what is this file for? (I am more a networking guy)

• 4. Re: 92h error + 0xe002001b unable to find system boot disk - HELP PLEASE -

If you're using Drive Encryption for HP Protecttools, you won't have one - the SDB is only in the McAfee version of the product.

• 5. Re: 92h error + 0xe002001b unable to find system boot disk - HELP PLEASE -

Hey Safeboot, some answers:

"if you don't have your .dat file (it was written to a USB stick when you activated the encryption), I'm afraid all your data is lost. There are only two ways to access the data, your user name and password, and the recovery information."

Even on this new machine, I can´t remember of getting this .dat file. Where can I get this (for example on this new machine). I am suspecting that HP, for default is not providing that and might stored this on one of its servers so if there is a way I can test getting this from my machine or to go to the local IT (they are a bit useless, all the investigation I´ve been doing, I´ve done that by myself)

"Without a working disk, or the recovery file, the information cannot be retrieved - this is security software after all."

when you say a working disk you mean that my physical unit failed?

"If the hard disk is not recognized (ie, no drive letter etc), then it's a physical problem - it's nothing to do with the encryption software."

The HDD is recognized on under the Hard Disk Drives on another PC if I use a SATA-USB adapter, actually it attempts and installs the drivers and tells me that the "drive is ready to be used", of course I will not see it because it is encrypted.

"but, to use Wintech, you need to call HP (this is the HP product after all) - I can tell you though that I doubt it will work if you are slaving the drive - you need to be booting off the WinTech CD with the drive in the original machine. That's how it works."

I plugged the HDD on the original laptop and booted from the CD.

"No dat file though, no chance of recovery."

Isn´t there another way to do like a low lever "disk check" for any damaged sectors?

• 6. Re: 92h error + 0xe002001b unable to find system boot disk - HELP PLEASE -

let's start at the beginning - what product are you using? What did you used to see on the boot screen when you turned your machine on? Was it the corporate product, or was it Drive Encryption for HP Protecttools.

• 7. Re: 92h error + 0xe002001b unable to find system boot disk - HELP PLEASE -

"If you're using Drive Encryption for HP Protecttools, you won't have one - the SDB is only in the McAfee version of the product."

I think I have McAfee Endpoint Encryption (At least that is what the icon on the toolbar tells me when I punch in it), not the basic stuff from the HP Protect Tools stuff...

• 8. Re: 92h error + 0xe002001b unable to find system boot disk - HELP PLEASE -

Then you need to call your helpdesk - only they can recover your data. It's not something you can do as an end user.

• 9. Re: 92h error + 0xe002001b unable to find system boot disk - HELP PLEASE -

"let's start at the beginning - what product are you using? What did you used to see on the boot screen when you turned your machine on? Was it the corporate product, or was it Drive Encryption for HP Protecttools."

I get this screen:

Back screen. It says McAfee Endpoint Encryption Logon.

Everytihgn says McAfee, nothing says HP.

1 2 3 Previous Next