6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 2:30 PM by JaiPrakash

McAfee Total Protection blank screen

Hello McAfee Community!

I was wondering if i could have some help with what seems to be a frequent issue with McAfee users. I've recently bought a new laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium and one of the first things I did was install McAfee Total Protection which seemed to work fine for the first couple of days. However I first realised something was wrong when I started recieving the standard pop-up messages asking whether or not I wanted McAfee to scan an external media drive but the odd thing was nothing was plugged into my laptop. So to rectify this I tried to open McAfee to see if there were any obviously stupid settings causing this only to find a blank white window with no way to interact with it and it's been the same ever since.

I've already googled "McAfee Total Protection" and been directed to this site where I've seen many people pointing the finger squarely at Internet Explorer.Unfortunately every time I try to follow the instructions on the microsoft website on how to uninstall IE (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-intern et-explorer-9) I can never complete step 3 because there is no "Windows Internet Explorer 9" to right-click and unistall. I've never actually knowingly installed any version of IE onto my laptop but it seems to have been already installed as standard on my laptop as I can search for it in the start menu an open it and browse the web easy peasy with it. I've tried instead of going to Uninstall an Update but using Unistall a Program to rid myself of IE but again it could not be found. So I'm beginning to suspect IE isn't responsible as it has always been present but nonetheless it does seem dodgy that I can't uninstall it the same way as the rest of the programs running on my pc, but that's not the issue at hand.

Things I've recently installed that could be to blame are Firefox, Google Chrome, GTA San Andreas, Steam, Sonic the Hedgehog, Amnesia the Dark Descent Demo, Adobe Flash Player 10.3 and Adobe Shockwave Player 11.6.1.629

Sorry that dragged on a bit. Also I know next to nothing about computers. I can do all the obvious stuff like go through control panel and do the user friendly things like most people but anything beyond that and I'd need an explanation as if I was five years old.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: McAfee Total Protection blank screen
          exbrit

It seems to be an intermittent problem and I have made it a subject for our next conference call with McAfee staff on Monday.

IE9, assuming you are using it, should be the final verison.  Those uninstallation instructions were in case people had beta or RC versions installed.

The reason IE is involved here is that McAfee interface uses IE regardless of your choice of default browser.   It's actually an IE page, albeit a highly specialized one.

One of the McAfee Support engineers suggested a workaround as follows.

Open Internet Explorer  >>  Tools  >> Internet Options >> Click on Accessibility and select  “Ignore font styles specified on web pages“ click on OK button and close it.  This worked for 1 user however as he stated, it isn't a suitable cure as one shouldn't be ignoring font styles.

Try that for now and I will see what transpires at our call.

• 2. Re: McAfee Total Protection blank screen
            Dinz

Hi there,
            IE wouldn’t be a problem but we can still suspect the latest update that happened to IE could be a reason for the issue .

Please try to re-register the Microsoft scripting dll by the following ways and let us know if you have the issue ;

Click on start & in start search , type : cmd

From the options that pops up – right click on cmd and select Run as administrator

Now in the blank window , type : regsvr32 jscript.dll and press enter   (Note : there is a space after regsvr32 )

Again : regsvr32 vbscript.dll and press enter   (Note : there is a space after regsvr32 )

Click on close and check the status of your security center .

If still the same , try resetting your browser and let us know the status ;

Regards,

• 3. Re: McAfee Total Protection blank screen

To Ex_Brit, I've done as you suggested but it didn't make a difference. If it makes any difference I'm not certain which version of IE is on my pc.

To Dinz, I've also followed your instructions which were also fruitless. After entering regsvr32 jscript.dll I recieved a message saying "The module jscript.dll was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8004005. For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term."

Luckily when I typed in regsvr32 vbscript.dll I recieved this message; "DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded."

Was the first message to be expected and is it anything to be concerned by? Also, this may sound dumb, but what did you mean by "try resetting your browser" because if you meant restart my pc, I did that, otherwise I'm uncertain of what you meant.

• 4. Re: McAfee Total Protection blank screen
                exbrit

To check your version of IE open it and go to Help/About.

• 5. Re: McAfee Total Protection blank screen

Thanks. It's IE 8 if that clears anything up. I was just wondering if McAfee Total Protection is compromised other than the obvious blank window? Will it still be protecting my pc? I ask this because when I open the task manager it says that it is running despite being just a blank window. What are the sort of measures should I be taking if it is compromised in this way?

• 6. Re: McAfee Total Protection blank screen
                    JaiPrakash

Hi there,

Please do not worry about the security of your PC with McAfee uninstalled , its just a display issue that causes this blank screen when actually the software is till running on the PC.

Please run the removal tool from here : http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100507

and follow the instructions here : http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100342  to reinstall the latest version from the web and everything should be fine