7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 11:05 AM by Vinod R

redirect to find-fast-answers.com

Hi,

In the past couple of days, I have been getting search redirects to find-fast-answers.com.

I have run the Malware Bytes, detecting no issues.

Hitman Pro just identifies tracking cookies.  I delete them.  But, within a couple of searches, the redirect happens again.

I have run the McAfee scans, which identify no issues.

How do I stop this redirect?

• 1. Re: redirect to find-fast-answers.com

Hello,

I have been having the same issues with Find-Fast-Answers. Have scanned with various AV products including what I use at work -  VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.7i

Is there a manual way to remove this rather annoying redirect?

Thanks!!  

• 2. Re: redirect to find-fast-answers.com

I'd like to add this is happening to both IE and Firefox - thanks

• 3. Re: redirect to find-fast-answers.com
              Vinod R

we will check for possible Rookit infections on the machine-

Running a Rookit scan using -----

Rootkits are programs that try to hide themselves or other programs so that   they are not easily removed. As rootkits have become such a common problem,   it is important to run a utility that will show rootkits that may reside on   your computer. Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows   you will not be able to run GMER and should skip to the next step.

1. To start this process, download GMER from the following location and save it   to your desktop.
              2. GMER   Download Link 1
              3. GMER   Download Link 2 (Only use if the previous link does not work)
              4. When you click on the above link you will see a download prompt
              5. Click on the Save button. You will now be presented with a screen asking where you would like to save the file.
              6. Click once on the Desktop button, designated by the red arrow in the figure above, to save the file to your Desktop and then press the Save button. Your computer will now download the file to your computer and save it on your Desktop. When it is done downloading you will now find an icon on your desktop.
              7. Right-click on the gmer.zip icon and select the Extract all... from menu option
              8. You will be shown a screen asking how you would like to extract the file. Just keep pressing the Next button until you geto the last screen and then press the Finish button to finish the extraction process. The GMER folder should automatically open and you will see that it contains the file called gmer.exe. Please double-click on the gmer.exe program. Once you double-click the icon a Windows security warning may appear asking if you are sure you would like to run the program. If this warning appears, please click on the Run button to allow GMER to start. If no warning appeared then you should just continue with the guide.
              9. You will now see the main GMER window. If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run a full scan, please click on the NO button. We now need to configure GMER to not use some settings. Please uncheck the following settings that we do not want in our scan.

Modules

Process

Threads

Show all ( critical do not miss)

Files.

After ensuring the above 5 items are unchecked- Right click on the White screen of Gmer  and Select - Options

You would see few more options getting listed there.

Select the following Two Alone

IRP Hooks

NTAPI Registry Scan

One these are selected-

Click on the Scan button to scan your computer for rootkits. This may take a while, so please be patient. When it has finished you will be back at the main screen

You now need to save the rootkit scan report to your Desktop by clicking on   the Save ... . A screen will open asking where you would like to save the report.   Click once on the Desktop button to change to the Desktop folder   and then in the File name: field enter ark.txt.   Finally, press the Save button to save the report to your desktop.   Please do not act on any of the information you find in this report as many   legitimate programs could be listed in it.

Attach the Log file thus created in your next post for verification by an expert here.

• 4. Re: redirect to find-fast-answers.com

Same issue here in IE and Firefox. I was running Mcafee and zonealarm firewall.

Edit - Very long GMER output extracted to a file and added back in as a .txt attachment

Message was edited by: Hayton on 27/11/11 00:25:08 GMT
                • 5. Re: redirect to find-fast-answers.com

I have the same problem, though I'm using Win7 64bit.  Vinod_r2 posted 'GMER will not run with 64bit system and you should skip to the next step. What is the next step?

• 6. Re: redirect to find-fast-answers.com
                    Hayton

There isn't one if GMER won't run on 64-bit systems, and it appears that it won't according to this post from BleepingComputer.

Can't get GMER to Work - Why!-!-.png

If you believe you have a rootkit infection you will probably need TDSSKiller (which seems to work reasonably well but is not perfect - see http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-rootkit-scanner-remover.htm)

If you go to BleepingComputer someone there will guide you through the use of this tool.

• 7. Re: redirect to find-fast-answers.com
                      Vinod R

I checked you GMER logs and it has not collected enough information to explain the redirection problem. I suggest that you proceed with what my Hayton had posted. Go ahead and check those forums and once you are done with them do let us know what happened.

You might need to run additional diagonstic tools