Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
15722 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 6, 2011 8:07 AM by srajagopalan RSS
anitatest Newcomer 1 posts since
Sep 5, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 5, 2011 1:48 PM

Cannot uninstall McAfee Family Protection

Hello everyone! So I want some help on an issue with uninstalling McAfee Family Protection(MFP). And heres the situation

I installed McAfee Family protection just fine. After some days have passed, I am not sure what happened. I cannot access the internet on that particular computer. When I try to, I am asked for the credentials to sign into MFP and the email address or password are not being accepted. I cannot uninstall it via the add or remove programs as a result. I attempted to run the McAfee Removal Tool(MCPR.exe) by using a flash drive to transfer the file from one working PC to the affected one and it does not remove it. I also called my cable company(where I downloaded the software from as it is complimentary to my services with them), who stated that they could look up my information using a database called "Partner Portal" but it MFP would not aceept the information they provided me either. So I am lost as to what to do here. I cannot uninstall MFP from my affected computer and I also cannot access the internet.

Are there any procedures I can go through to fix this? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

• srajagopalan McAfeeSME 28 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 6, 2011 8:07 AM (in response to anitatest)
    Re: Cannot uninstall McAfee Family Protection

Hi,

Try the below steps,

• Enable show hidden files & folders from folder options.
    • open task manger ,end the process named mfp.exe,updateservice.exe.
    • open c:\programfiles\ and delete the folder named internet content filter
    • open the c:\program files\installsheild installation information\ folder.
    • Now try to find the folder named 08A6E2a- .... and delete the folder
    • Goto Add or Remove Programs or Program and Features to remove the McAfee Family Protection from that list
    • Now restart the computer,
    • check if you are able to go online , if issue persists execute the following command using the "command Prompt"
    • If its XP , Click on Start >Run , If its vista or Windows 7 , Under Start Search Type "Run" and Make Right Click on "Cmd" from the Start Menu and Select "Run as Administrator"
    • Now type this command without quotes "netsh winsock reset catalog" and Press Enter.
    • Restart the computer and try to browse the website , you should be able to go online

Regards,

Raja Gopalan S

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points