3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 1:45 PM by Grif

Can't open VirusScan 8.5i

I was online and all of a sudden, an on-access scan log window popped up saying that some Trojans were found and being deleted. I immediately closed all browsers, cleaned the temp folder, and started an on-demand scan. No virus was found, but the VirusScan Console and On-Access Scan Properties window couldn’t open since then. It couldn’t even do a “scan for viruses” or “scan for threats” when I right clicked on any file. I ran the Stinger from McAfee website, no virus found neither. I uninstalled and reinstalled VirusScan8.5i, but it didn’t help. Can anyone tell me what went wrong? Thanks a bunch!
        • 1. RE: Can't open VirusScan 8.5i
          Please start with this.. Let's get a "second opinion"..

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
          * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
          * Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
          * The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
          * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
          * Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
          * When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
          * The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
          If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes. Exact malware names and the names of infected files would help.

Grif
          • 2. RE: Can't open VirusScan 8.5i
            Thanks and sorry for the late reply!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware was able to detect and fix some registry problems. VirusScan seems to work fine now.

One quick question, it was some kind of online gaming trojans that caused the problem. I did a full scan using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it didn't find anything after fixing the registry issues. Do you think my comp is now "clean"? I was just wondering if reformating the C drive is the only way to get it fixed?
            • 3. RE: Can't open VirusScan 8.5i
              Probably no reason to do a full reformat/reinstall..

When cleaning out badly infested system, I always get a "second opinion" to verify the machine is clean.. Try the free program below:

Download the file to your desktop, install it, then update it.. Once that's done, restart the computer into Safe Mode and run a full system scan.

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

After running the full system scan in Safe Mode, then restart the computer into "normal" Windows and do it again. If you're lucky, you won't fine anything after the second scan.

Yes, I know it takes quite a while to do all these scans but unfortunately, the tools don't do a perfect job or removing various malware.. As a result, on occasion, although it appears like things have been deleted correctly in Safe Mode or "normal" Windows, restarting the computer allows the infection to show up again.. In those cases, if you can identify the specific file causing the issue, you should be able to manually delete it from the XP REcovery Console or a Safe Mode Command Prompt.

Hope this helps.

Grif