1 2 3 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2011 5:19 AM by Peter M Branched to a new discussion.

The server XXXX did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

astor

I see the following event logged on my PC at numerous times going back as far as the log has kept history, which is about a year's worth.

The server {6DFC2D17-579D-4C1C-93B7-B05B7DCCD766} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The server {3A185DDE-E020-4985-A8F2-E27CDC4A0F3A} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

etc....

I get a new id each time McAfee is updated.

They all relate to "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe"

What does this event mean?  I haven't noticed any major issues with the product and everything appears to be working OK.

• 1. Re: The server XXXX did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
          Peter M

Have you been using any registry cleaners lately or any software that perhaps may compete with McAfee in any way?  Also what operating system and service pack is this?

Your best bet over a weekend with this sort of thing is most likely to try Technical Support online chat which is free and available 24/7 as all I can suggest is to uninstall everything in the normal way via Control Panel, then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot immediately, then reinstall from your online account.

Technical Support online chat is also linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

I combed the forums for similar errors and could not see any that had been solved by us so try the uninstall/cleanup/reinstall and then if that doesn't help go through Tech. Support.   They can link up and tell what's wrong.

As you say it's not causing issues you may want to just let it go as it probably will clear up on its own eventually.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/09/11 10:05:18 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: The server XXXX did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
            astor

I have used a registry clean utility from Norton a couple of years ago.  I don't recall any problems then.  I did the uninstall/re-install procedure as documented twice.  No change.  I'm using Windows XP SP2.  I'm also getting:

Process **\SVCHOST.EXE pid (xxx) contains signed but untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a McAfee driver.

with the source being mfehidk

I'm going to get a new PC sooner or later so I don't think I'll waste too much time trying to fix these issues.  The main point is the McAfee products appear to be working fine.

Message was edited by: astor on 3/09/11 9:10:36 AM
            • 3. Re: The server XXXX did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
              Hayton

I noticed this one almost as soon as I got McAfee installed. It doesn't seem to be anything important. The XP Help and Support Center returns the following information, which I think astor has also found :

Details
              Product:Windows Operating System
              ID:10010
              Source:DCOM
              Version:5.2
              Symbolic Name:EVENT_RPCSS_SERVER_START_TIMEOUT
              Message:The server %1 did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Explanation

The Component Object Model (COM) infrastructure tried to start the named server; however, the server did not reply within the required timeout period. There might be a deadlock, or the program might not have responded to the server initialization code within the timeout period of two minutes.

User Action

If the problem continues to occur, contact the program vendor.

To determine the program vendor

1. Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry value
                HKCR\Clsid\clsid value\localserver32
                The clsid value is the information displayed in the message.
              2. In the right pane, double-click Default. The Edit String dialog box is displayed. Leave this dialog box open.
              3. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
              4. Using the information displayed in the Value data box of the Edit String dialog box, navigate to the program.
              5. Right-click the program name, and then click Properties.
                The Properties dialog box for the program is displayed.
              6. To determine who the vendor is for this program, refer to the Version tab.

There are queries about this message in many tech forums but none that I have seen have said that it's a critical problem, and none have offered a solution. Microsoft have a number of articles about it but they're mostly targeted at Windows Server setups.

All I can say is that the Security Center (mcagent) isn't communicating with the Windows Component Object Model. But it still works. So ... I'm not too worried.

• 4. Re: The server XXXX did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
                Peter M

Well if it's not effecting anything I would ignore it.  You might be able to turn it off by disabling Access Protection which is there to stop malware meddling with McAfee.  Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation

Click General Settings and Alerts

Click Access Protection to expand that drawer and uncheck it, Apply.

See if that stops it.

It could be because your computer is basically out of date with only SP2, support for which expired July 13 last.   XP has a good life left in it yet - until April 8, 2014 to be exact (provided it's current) so why not keep it up to date?

There's help in applying Service Pack 3 (SP3) HERE and of course there are many updates since then.   Just getting it up to date may solve the situation.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/09/11 10:26:20 EDT AM
                • 5. Re: The server XXXX did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
                  Peter M

Thanks Hayton for that.  There's probably some boffin way of adjusting the registry to increase the time limit so that warning wouldn't occur but I don't want to even touch that with a barge pole.

• 6. Re: The server XXXX did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
                    astor

I've avoided updating XP to SP3 because I've seen some users experiencing major problems doing so.  Also a couple of years ago at where I used to work, the company also discovered upgrading to XP3 caused major problems and never went down that path for all the desktop users numbering in the 10's of thousands.  Still I might try it if I find some spare time but first I will do a Norton Ghost backup of the PC so I can quickly revert back if something goes wrong.

• 7. Re: The server XXXX did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
                      astor

Yes I saw that note too from XP support.  That's how I found out which program was causing the event.

• 8. Re: The server XXXX did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
                        Peter M

Don't be scared of SP3...people had major problems mainly because a) they failed to disable virus protection and b) they probably expected the darned thing to install while they continued to play games....of course the latter is my guess.

But if I recall SP3 was a lot less painful than SP2 to install and as SP2 has gone out of support, your machine is actually vulnerable to attack because Microsoft are no longer sending you security updates, not to mention the dozens of others that you most likely need.

That link I provided should help you and there is always free service pack support from good old Microsoft themselves if need be.  It's all linked in there.

• 9. Re: The server XXXX did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
                          astor

OK, I will try it.  At least I shouldn't have anything to worry about once I do a ghost backup first.  It helped me deal with a disaster once before when my hard drive failed.

1 2 3 Previous Next