5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 6:42 AM by JoeBidgood

EPO Dat updates on client machines

czql5v

Hi All,

I have just been asked a question regarding where the DAT files live on the client machines. Having checked through the VirusScan Enterprise and Common Framwork foders i cannot see anything obvious that relates to the DAT files. Obviously i am able to see the folder structure on the EPO server but cannot see anything on client machines.

Any information would be greatly received.

With Regards.

Peter Flint.

• 1. Re: EPO Dat updates on client machines
          JoeBidgood

It depends on the AV point product installed on the client machine, but - to use VirusScan as an example - the dat files live in the engine folder, which is C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Engine by default.

HTH -

Joe

• 2. Re: EPO Dat updates on client machines
            czql5v

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply.

I have just checked and I am able to see a folder there with some files in. Do you know if it is possible to manually update client machines without using EPO. I.E. copy the contents onto a CD then transfer to a client machine? Also, how should the .DAT files appear in the folder structure? i have some files under the root of the Engine folder......avvclean.dat; avvnames.dat; avvscan.dat; avvconfig.dat; avvlicence.dat; avvmeruntime.dat. where would the .dat's be held? Would i be able to view these as the file types appear to be associated with nero showtime movie file types?

Any help on these questions would be very helpful.

With Regards.

Peter Flint.

• 3. Re: EPO Dat updates on client machines
              JoeBidgood

Hi...

You can certainly manually update a machine without using ePO. It's possible to do it by manually copying files, but it's a bit fiddly: a safer approach is to use the McAfee SuperDAT installer, which takes care of the whole update process. This can be downloaded from the SuperDAT tab of the downloads page, which is here: https://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx

With regard to how the DATs appear, again, it depends on the product, but the files you list are correct for VirusScan. The DATs themselves are not viewable - they are encrypted, and even if you could decrypt them they would be meaningless

Regards -

Joe

• 4. Re: EPO Dat updates on client machines
                czql5v

Hi Joe,

Again thanks very much the for taking the time to explain this. I have sorted out the issue with the file types as i believe it was my WS that was causing this problem. The initial quesion has been answered and thank you for that.

With Rgs.

Pete Flint.

• 5. Re: EPO Dat updates on client machines
                  JoeBidgood

No problem

Regards -

Joe