3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2008 12:42 PM by Grif

Can't Access VirusScan Console

I am using Windows XP with Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise (8.5.0i).

I have been suffering for about a few days now from virus-like behavior on my computer, with the following symptoms.

- Can no longer run most MS Office programs.
      - Can run Outlook, but it uses 50% CPU while running
      - When I right-click the VirusScan icon in the system tray and select VirusScan Console, instead of getting the Console, I get the following error message: Error: Could not access the local computer. Confirm you have appropriate privileges and the product is properly installed.

I saw on a number of web sites that the trojan Trojan.Lager displays this dialog, but the other symptoms don't seem to fit this trojan.

I have two questions:

1) Do you know of any other viruses that display this message?

2) Are there any "ordinary" circumstances under which Mcafee displays this dialog (e.g., due to actual permission changes)? Or is this definitely the work of some type of virus?

Thanks
        • 1. RE: Can't Access VirusScan Console
          Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and running a scan?

You could also download the stinger app and run a scan with that

http://vil.nai.com/VIL/stinger/
          • 2. RE: Can't Access VirusScan Console
            tonyb99
            if you can access the net from that machine run the MS onecare online virus scan and also the trend micro online virus scan, these are both usually pretty good at finding issues.
            • 3. RE: Can't Access VirusScan Console
              Yep, Sounds more like spyware or trojans to me.. In addition to the online scans, I use the tool and instructions below:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
              * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
              * Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
              * The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
              * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
              * Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
              * When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
              * The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
              If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes. Exact malware names and the names of infected files would help.

Grif