1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 7, 2011 8:46 AM by Dinz

8/26 Updates Have Left My Computer Unable to Connect to the Internet

I don't know what to do. I have been unable to connect to the internet with my computer since re-starting it after the McAfee updates on Friday, Aug. 26. The computer dials my Earthlink internet connection, the connection begins... and then the screen and system freezes. I do not get the infamous Blue Screen of Death, but the machine has crashed. I have to unplug it, and re-start. I have tried turning off the McAfee firewall and virus scan (not an easy matter) and then starting the dial-up procedure, but the screen and system still freeze during  the dial-up connection. I have tried System Restore; Windows XP tells me that for some reason it cannot restore the system to a Restore Point earlier in the week. I am using an old, slow, out-of-date machine to ask for help on this. When I attempted to get help through McAfee's Chat Assistance, a popup told me my old computer couldn't handle the necessary software; I would have to upgrade. I'm a pretty angry customer at the moment. I need some answers -- and I don't particularly wish to pay for a telephone service call when it was the Friday update that has caused the problem.

My computer -- a two year old Dell Inspiron -- has almost always performed tirelessly and superbly. Until now, it has crashed perhaps once. As noted, I run Windows XP. Again, I don't know what to do about this. I need to restore my computer to the way it was before the Friday update. Ironically, I renewed my McAfee coverage this month.