3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2011 7:03 PM by exbrit

Cannot access the items in the 'Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs'

Hello,

I cannot access the items in the 'Quarantines Potentially Unwanted Programs' to delete them.

When I click it to begin, the spinning cursor keeps going but the items only appear in faint gray and never becomes solid. The spinning goes on for up to four hours and then the program shuts down.

I have run the Technical Technician several times but it comes out with no problems.

I run Windows XP Professional and use AntiVirus Plus.

thanks

• 1. Re: Cannot access the items in the 'Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs'
          exbrit

You can delete them in another way.   You may have to enable viewing of hidden files and folders within Windows Explorer (Tools/Folder Options/View)

First you have to turn off Access Protection in SecurityCenter.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation

Click General Settings and Alterts

Click Access Protection

Uncheck it and click Apply and close SecurityCenter

In XP the pathway to the Quarantined files within Windows itself is: C:Documents & Settings/All Users/Application Data/McAfee/Virusscan/Quarantine

Only delete the contents of the folder and not the folder itself.

To delete all at once simply go to Edit > Select All then simultaneously click Shift and Delete on your keyboard at the same time.

Bt clicking Shift that not only deletes them but bypasses the Recycle Bin so saves a step.

Don't forget to re-enable Access Protection.

You can stop the Quarantine folder getting so large by turning off cookie detection in VirusScan's general settings if you wish, I can explain that too if you need.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/08/11 3:22:30 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: Cannot access the items in the 'Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs'

Thank you very much for your help.

I understand why the cursor kept spinning so long. There was over 158,000 quarantined items.

How do I turn off the cookie detection?

thanks again

• 3. Re: Cannot access the items in the 'Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs'
              exbrit

OK that's easy - just open SecurityCenter by double-clicking the taskbar icon (or right-clicking and selecting it)

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real-Time Scanning

Click Settings

Uncheck Tracking Cookies

Click Apply.