1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 8:02 AM by SafeBoot

After encrypting my 2TB external hard drive all data is lost..

I had some 200 GB worth of business data residing in my external drive - upon each reboot McAfee End Point Encryption would prompt me to encrypt my external hard drive (my internal hard drive was successfully encrypted with no data loss) - so I bit the bullet and allowed it to start the encyrption process

When the encryption process commenced, I noted it stated that it had recognised there was existing data in the drive and was backing it up so I let it proceed.

I came back 3 hours later and noticed it had encountered an error - I can't remember what the error was precicely (is there log file I can look at to retrieve this?) - I dismissed the error and the process stopped

Net result was that once I rebooted my system I noticed that my external hard drive was being recognised by Windows XP File Explorer as a local drive with zero contents

I have deliberately not written any further data to this external drive to date

Is there any possibility I can recover this data?

please advise how I might investigate doing so

thanks

- Garry

• 1. Re: After encrypting my 2TB external hard drive all data is lost..

I think this was eUSB, not endpoint encryption which did this? If so the files should be in your user temp directory still?

You need to tell us exactly what product/version you are using though to really get any help.

• 2. Re: After encrypting my 2TB external hard drive all data is lost..

with some digging aorund it seems that the Encryption Endpoint s/w created a whole bunch of .dsk<nnn> files, each of 2GB in size i.e. encrypted.dsk1 up to encrypted.dsk931 so looks like a set of partitions of some sort were created.

Is there any chace that my data is locked away in some of these files or does the mere existence of these files suggest that my data has been completed wiped and replaced by these instead? if the former, is there a way to decrypt these files and gt my data back?

• 3. Re: After encrypting my 2TB external hard drive all data is lost..

software product version information is as follows:

McAfee Endpoint Encryption for PC 5.2.6

• 4. Re: After encrypting my 2TB external hard drive all data is lost..

Hmm.. EEPC can't do what you suggest - are you sure you're not using Endpoint Encryption for File/Folder?

The files you've found sound like an Endpoint Encryption for Removable Media container - usually that is created, and your orignal content moved back into it - you don't have an executable on the drive to run?

Have you contacted your company helpdesk about this?

• 5. Re: After encrypting my 2TB external hard drive all data is lost..

it's possible - could it be the case that Endpoint Encryption for PC comprises Endpoint Encryption for File/Folder perhaps?

how can i tell for definite - is there a location in my Windows registry or perhaps a certain folder or file on my system that would indicate that?

thanks

Message was edited by: gcronin on 8/26/11 10:32:33 AM CDT
                  • 6. Re: After encrypting my 2TB external hard drive all data is lost..

no, the two products are separate, but your company could indeed have installed both. You can tell easily enough - what options do you have on the icon in your tool tray? do you have right-click encrypt options?

regardless though, check your temp directory, and call your corporate helpdesk - they should be able to help you.

• 7. Re: After encrypting my 2TB external hard drive all data is lost..

here's what's on my Desktop

McAfee.png

I've chcked my TEMP directory and there is nothing there of note

I have already engaged my helpdesk colleagues and they've drawn a blank

In Windows Explorer when I right click on the Drive that represents my external hard drive and go to Properties it reports that all but 4 MB of the 2 TB is full, yet Windows Explorer doesn't show any file contents, even when I have "Show Hidden & System Files" checked

Is there any other advice you can provide to help me troubleshoot this further - do you think by old data is actually gone or do you think McAfee Encryptrion s/w has just masked it from view, in whihc case I need to know how I can go about recovering it

thanks

- Garry

• 8. Re: After encrypting my 2TB external hard drive all data is lost..

are you SURE you don't have MFEEERM.exe anywhere on your system? Everything would indicate that the encryption worked perfectly, especially if you don't have the data in your user TMP directory.

What happened to all the .dsk files you mentioned above?

• 9. Re: After encrypting my 2TB external hard drive all data is lost..

Hi

I was assisting Garry to recover his data and this is what I found:

are you SURE you don't have MFEEERM.exe               -              

When I booted to the Win Tech CD I found the following folders:

There were two folders on the drive:     McAfee EERM

System Volume Information

In the McAfee EERM folder there were a number of files – encrypted.dsk1 up to encrypted.dsk931.  Each one was about 2GB in size.

I was able to copy 4 files to another external hard drive but not able to open them

What happened to all the .dsk files you mentioned above         -

These files are only visible when you boot to the Win Tech CD and are still on the external hard drive.  I do not know what these files are other than they are 2GB in size and there were about 931 of them on the drive.

1 2 Previous Next