1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 17, 2011 2:57 PM by pammirab

Colleague can't download .exe files

I've had numerous people in my development group run an installer for a product we're buying.  All of them have had no trouble with this except for one person who is finding that McAfee is deleting the installer as soon as it finishes downloading. This person is running Windows Seven with McAfee.  The McAfee settings are installed to all of our boxes from a common location, so I don't understand why his would be set up differently.  The event log entry says it "has taken too long and is being canceled".  The file takes about 30 seconds to download.

How can we configure his McAfee so that it doesn't do this? I've browsed through his settings and I don't see anything obvious.

If it helps, here is the McLogEvent that reports the file being deleted.

Log Name: Application

Source: McLogEvent

Date: 8/22/2011 4:08:25 PM

Event ID: 257

Task Category: None

Level: Information

Keywords: Classic

User: SYSTEM

Computer: ...

Description:

The scan of ...exe has taken too long to complete and is being canceled. Scan engine version used is 5400.1158 DAT version 6446.0000.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="McLogEvent" />

<EventID Qualifiers="16384">257</EventID>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-22T23:08:25.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>4193</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>">...</Computer>;

<Security UserID="..." />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>The scan of ...exe has taken too long to complete and is being canceled. Scan engine version used is 5400.1158 DAT version 6446.0000.</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

• 1. Re: Colleague can't download .exe files

Hello David,

We apologize for the delay in replying to this.

Are you still getting this message ? If yes, I suggest you to update your DAT files first and try to download the installer again.

If you continue getting this message after updating the DATs, would be good to check the the "Scan Time" and "Scan Items" in your AV settings by clicking on the OnDemand Scan Properties.

It also suggests that system is either crawling for some reason (other things are getting CPU time), or something else on the system is hindering the scanner being able to obtain some simple information about the file in question.

Anyway, this message does not indicate a software malfunction, properly, but the amount of time taken to scan the file depends primarily on the following factors:

* File complexity

* File size

* File location

* File type. File extensions such as .jar, .chm, .cab, and .zip are all archive files that typically use a very high compression. To scan these archives, each file must be extracted from the archive. This can use a large amount of memory depending on the type of data in the archive and how well it compresses.

* Processing power of the computer scanning the files (and amount of memory if the file must be uncompressed)

* Network speed (if the file has to be copied over a network to be scanned)

Please see more details at: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB55869

Hope this helps !

Patty