1 2 3 Previous Next 150 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2012 1:17 PM by Peter M

McSvHost.exe causes cpu spike, lagging, and buzzing - very annoying

So I just recently started noticing this performance issue first during gaming, but now while listening to itunes are even surfing the internet. I havn't yet seen it while completly idle though.

The computer lags horribly and any audio being played turns into a buzzing noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNcB1D9seqc

this video gives you an idea of what i'm talking about. check 2:20 ish.

I run a windows 7 64bit

intel i7 2600 processor

8 GB ram

and a radeon 6900 graphics card.

also the computer was bought from Dell: XPS 8300, if that helps

What i did was run windows resource monitor while i was listening to music and surfing the web and managed to find out that it was McSvHost.exe that was causing these spikes; which spiked to 100 percent then back down to normal in roughly a third of a second. I'm guessing cpu usage at 100 percent is probably causing the lagging and buzzing. Not sure if its recomended to delete McSvHost.exe permanently. i'm hoping that an update of somesort will fix it.

I hope that someone can give me a solution. My computer is almost brand new and i can't get full enjoyment out of it.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: McSvHost.exe causes cpu spike, lagging, and buzzing - very annoying

I have this same exact issue right now as well. It started around the beginning of August. I used Process Explorer to pinpoint cpu usage spikes from McSvHost.exe. My overall cpu usage would be around 10% and with Process Explorer you can view the cpu usage of McSvHost.exe alone. When the next spike occured McSvHost.exe cpu usage would spike and the overall cpu usage would spike relative to McSvHost.exe therefore validating that McSvHost.eve alone is causing this video/sound hitch or lag. I have a three year subscription to my McAfee Antivirus Plus and I will not stand for this lag for another year and a half.

• 2. Re: McSvHost.exe causes cpu spike, lagging, and buzzing - very annoying

I'm also having the same issue on my Dell XPS 15 L502X. It only just started for me in the past few days, but I've noticed that McAfee's McSvHost.exe seems to be spiking in usage. Disappointing as I purchased a 3 Year subscription to McAfee with my computer... don't want to have it go to waste!

• 3. Re: McSvHost.exe causes cpu spike, lagging, and buzzing - very annoying

The same Dell - the same Model - 2630, 8gigs, 740... the same problems - lagging system, spikes and a sound from outer space

just wondered why this happens - after cleaning the fan - the same problem - the process explorer gives me the same hint - its mcafee - so i hope they will fix it with the next update - or it was the first and last time that i give McAfee a Try!

Very very Disappointing!

Sorry about my bad english - im German

Greetz to everybody out there!

• 4. Re: McSvHost.exe causes cpu spike, lagging, and buzzing - very annoying

I am glad to see that others are seeing the same problem, and it's not just me, as indicated by Tier 2 support!

I have a Dell Precsion M4500, Win7 Pro 64.

I see the same spiking, of all 8 CPU cores to 100%, this lasts for around 3 seconds on each spike and each time the process concerned is McSvHost.exe.

It's most noticable when playing audio or video, but equally, it casues the mouse to freeze and keyboard buffers to fill if you are typing.

It again has been happening since a major McAfee update in August, so it looks like they broke something!

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Security Centre twice.

McAfee Tier 2 support has also repeated the process and cleaned the registry - with no improvement.

So I'm off to call them again... On all the other PCs I run Symantec, which has never given me any problems client computers...

Message was edited by: jon_iz on 02/09/11 04:28:53 CDT
                • 5. Re: McSvHost.exe causes cpu spike, lagging, and buzzing - very annoying

Hmm. i wasn't aware of a major update in August. I DID start noticing this recently so it might have been something with that. I really hope someone McAfee hears this out and solves it in the next update. I will most likey just switch to another AV program. 

• 6. Re: McSvHost.exe causes cpu spike, lagging, and buzzing - very annoying

If a McAfee member does not help with this issue or it is not patched within the next few days I am going to uninstall McAfee for good. I have had this problem for a WHOLE month and this post has been up for almost two weeks. The other posts referring to this issue have replies from McAfee, but their responces are not helpful. I don't have a printer connected to my PC and McAfee AV Plus says I have no threats. I made no changes to my PC at the time the issue occured and I have done nothing different since a year and a half ago when I received this PC with McAfee installed. I have actually enjoyed the first year and a half of my McAfee AV Plus and was impressed with its ability to remain low profile and not slow my PC down or do anything unneccesary. Around the beginning of August I turned my PC on in the morning as i always do and the cpu spikes began. If there is a fix posted by McAfee somewhere that does not involve printers or malware/viruses please post that link here so it can be found and tested, otherwise if no reply from McAfee is posted I will be uninstalling for good.

• 7. Re: McSvHost.exe causes cpu spike, lagging, and buzzing - very annoying

As I just said on another topic, I have found the problem stops (for me) if I turn off Net Guard within McAfee Firewall options. So this is a good place to begin looking for a solution to the problem.

• 8. Re: McSvHost.exe causes cpu spike, lagging, and buzzing - very annoying

I have turned off Net Guard and haven't had a single spike for two days. It seems you have found the issue Vegetothe1st. Good job and now the next step is to be able to have Net Guard on again without problems and I hope McAfee can do something about that.

• 9. Re: McSvHost.exe causes cpu spike, lagging, and buzzing - very annoying

The Version of McAfee Security Centre I have doesn't have Netguard, it does however have "Siteadvisor" which seems to be a similar sort of thing.

That being said, Siteadvisor is disabled and i still get the spikes.

1 2 3 Previous Next