4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2011 1:43 PM by dundagda

McAfee real time scan keeps stopping

Since an overnight automatic upgrade of Microsoft Windows XP on my Dell Dimension 2400 PC, McAfee real-time scanning keeps stopping. I have tried rebooting several times. On each re-boot, McAfee Security Centre starts up as normal, but after a few minutes real-time scanning stops running and I am unable to restart it. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: McAfee real time scan keeps stopping
          k3tg

Have you tried to run the McAfee Virtual Technician found under Useful Links within the Technical Support link? MVT will scan your computer for any McAfee related issue and will attempt to fix any problems it may find.

Another thought is the update may have corrupted something so a clean install might be the best thing to do. Go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall McAfee and reboot. Next step is to run MCPR removal tool also found under useful Links and reboot again. Last step is to login to your online McAfee account and download and install your software.

Let us know if this resolves your issue

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: McAfee real time scan keeps stopping
            Peacekeeper

Also try a manual update this sometimes shocks it back into working

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: McAfee real time scan keeps stopping

Tony,

When I logged in to my PC this morning, McAfee requested a restart of the PC after an automatic overnight update. Since the restart, the McAfee update seems to have done the trick. No further problems so far.

Thanks for your help!

• 4. Re: McAfee real time scan keeps stopping

@k3tg

Tom, thanks for your reply. As you will see from my reply to Tony, I didn't have to try any of those procedures since my copy of McAfee Internet Security seems to have fixed itself after an automatic overnight update. I'll know what to try in future if I have any problems, thanks!