3 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2008 2:53 AM by westmill RSS

On-Access Scan Disabled

i am using virusscan enterprise 7.1.0 and on-access scan suddenly stopped working. i know this is an extremely old version, but it had been working without any problems until last night. i've received a windows security alert in the notification area that says my antivirus program is turned off although i didn't change any settings. there is also an icon for virusscan in the notification area, which looks normal without a little red "disabled" circle on it. but when i right-click it, "enable on-access scan" button is disabled and i can't select it. when i open the virusscan console, it does say on-access scan is disabled. i tried right clicking it and selecting enable (here the "enable" button is enabled), but it didn't work. also i performed an on-demand scan in safe mode, and no virus was detected. everything seems to be working well except for on-access scan. can you help me solve this problem? thanks.

Moved from Home products "VirusScan 8 & Previous Versions" to Corporate products "Desktop & Server" fror better attention - MOD
        • 1. RE: On-Access Scan Disabled
          Unfortunately, you haven't told us much about your system.. Which scan engine are you using with VS 7.1? which virus definition version? Which operating system?

First, start by downloading the full Superdat from the link below and run it.. It frequently fixes that issue:

http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security_updates/superdat.asp?region=us&seg ment=enterprise

Have you checked to make sure the Network Associates "mschield.exe" service is started? If not, check the services and change the "Recovery" tab, "First Failure" section so it says: "Restart Service".

A suggestion if the above steps don't help: Because spyware can cause such issues, please download, install, then update the antispyware program below.. Once that's done, restart into Safe Mode and run a full system scan using the antispyware program..

Antispyware Removal Tool #2

Hope this helps and let us know more.

• 2. RE: On-Access Scan Disabled

Thank you for your post and sorry it took me a while to get back. Also I apologize that I didn't provide enough system information. I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2, VirusScan Enterprise 7.1.0, Scan engine 5.2.00, Virus Definitions 5287.

I tried using the Superdat from the link you included, but it failed right after the download. Error massage says "Windows has found a problem with this file. This file was blocked because it does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher." I tried twice, no luck.

How do I check if "mcshield.exe" service is started? I found the item in the folder, but I don't know how to access the setting. I did check the properties, though, which shows today's date as last access date (probably because I manually updated the definitions).

I installed the superantispyware program and did a full scan in safe mode. There were many threats (cookies) and they were all removed. Unfortunately, VSE on-access scan still doesn't work...

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

• 3. RE: On-Access Scan Disabled
              If you attempt to start it does an entry in the Access protection log appear stating it stopped someone trying to kill a mcafee service. This has happened on a few occasions on VS 8.0i and 8.5i and I disabled Access protection and enabled the onacces scanner and it worked!