5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2012 1:23 PM by mcsophty

Win7x64, JavaScript error, can't install AntiVirus Plus

i know, there are already several threads on this, but many of them seem outdated, so i thought i'd just start a new one.

i have: Win7 SP1 64-bit.  McAfee AntiVirus Plus started giving me that dreaded white box, with nothing in it, so there was no way to actually use McAfee.  So, i removed it, and tried to reinstall it.  The re-installation failed with the JavaScript error.

We're having trouble installing your McAfee software.  Please make sure you have

JavaScript installed on your PC, and that it's working properly before continuing.

Learn more by visiting the McAfee support website at

http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=62492

That URL is, of course, invalid.  i've been through two failed chat sessions with McAfee.  In the first one, i was told that IE9 had some "compatibility issues" with McAfee, so the technician removed it, going back to IE8.  It still failed.  The technician then deferred me to Java Support to get Java working again, because at that point, regsvr32 jscript.dll failed.

i did a restore to put my computer back the way it was, hoping that'd mean McAfee and IE9 would be back, and that was okay.  Then i went to Java.com, and it said my Java was working fine, so i started up another chat session with McAfee, and immediately escalated it to Tier 2.  This guy removed IE9 again, and then tried to re-install it.  The IE9 reinstallation failed, so then he told me that Windows had some issues, and i had to go and resolve them before he could help me.  So, basically, i'm stuck. 

Since that point, i've done an in-place upgrade to Windows, and updated it all the way back to current, with SP1, IE9, etc.  Java works.

regsvr32 jscript.dll succeeds

regsvr32 vbscript.dll succeeds.

Other Java-enabled apps work.  But i'm still getting the Javascript error from McAfee.

At this point, i've had to install another antivirus app, and i'll have to abandon McAfee.  Does anybody know the silver-bullet solution to this Javascript error?

The install log has this error:

08/08/2011 05:37:42 PM$ -- (Error)$ [    Install.exe]$ Failed expression exception in function wWinMain

Failed expression: AcquireInstallerMutex() at line 99

Message: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (Error code 183)

Perhaps this is a clue?