1 2 3 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2012 4:53 AM by Peacekeeper

Scheduled Scan not working as should

Nisa51

Why is it when I schedule a scan for a specific date and date, it does not do it.

I schedule a full scan for 6.45am on a Wednesday so this gives the scan enough time to complete before I use the PC to maximum. It never does it at the time, it will kick in when it feels like it. So I have now had to turn off Schedule Scanning and do it manually.!! this should not be the case. So i am asking why it does not the scan at the required time.

And yes before you ask I did click Apply.

Note from Moderator:

As XP is no longer officially supported am locking this very old thread. 

Any similar cases please post a new discussion or ask Technical Support for help, it's free.

Contact Support

• 1. Re: Scheduled Scan not working as should
          Nisa51

My god, it has just clicked in now to do a scan and it should have been 6.45 am it is now 19.53pm?!!!

Figure that one out

• 2. Re: Scheduled Scan not working as should
            Dinz

Hi Nisa.

Sorry for the delayed response ,

Please let us know the below information ;

What is the operating system ?

Please check for windows updates and install any high priority updates that is pending

What is the version of Internet explorer – (Open IE – Click on help – Click on About Internet Explorer)

Please get back to us with the above information so as we could proceed further with this .

Regards,

• 3. Re: Scheduled Scan not working as should
              Nisa51

OS is Windows XP SP3

All Updates are up to date.

Hmm Dont use IE,I use Firefox, but it is V8.0.6001.18702.

In fact this McAfee Internet security programme 10 has never done a scheduled scan on the time settings that is I set it for.

Programme 2009 was brilliant never let you down, and always kicked in on the time for the scheduled scan.

I have it set for a scan every Wednesday at 6.45am, and to day is Wednesday and at 7.15am still had not kicked in. I switch the pc on and leave it idle for the scan to proceed which then gives me enough time. Like always I have to switch the scheduled scan off, and do it manually. When finished I always put the scheduled scan back on. But this is pointless.

• 4. Re: Scheduled Scan not working as should

Hi,

The logic with Scheduled scan is such that in order to minimize the impact on your system, it will start only when it detects idle system. So, say you set it at a time, and you are at your machine working, it will delay untill machine goes idle.

If you wish to execute a scan immediately, i'd suggest running a full scan or custom scan.

Hope this helps.

• 5. Re: Scheduled Scan not working as should
                  Nisa51

Hi Madhurima,

You obviously did not read my last post correctly quote:

"I have it set for a scan every Wednesday at 6.45am, and to day is Wednesday and at 7.15am still had not kicked in. I switch the pc on and leave it idle for the scan to proceed which then gives me enough time. Like always I have to switch the scheduled scan off, and do it manually. When finished I always put the scheduled scan back on."    But this is pointless.

I do leave the machine idle and not working on it, I knew this. Hence my question why is it not kicking in on the time I set it to? Programme previously to 10 worked perfectly. This Programme 10 does not.

I would like to know why. If so it is pointless having this feature in the programme that does not work as should. I always have to do a full scan mannually.

• 6. Re: Scheduled Scan not working as should
                    Dinz

Nisa,

Madhurima was actually trying to explain you the concept of schedule scan . Your issue actually can also happen if the windows task scheduler has some internal issues .Could you please try to schedule a different task in windows task scheduler to check if the same has any issue. Please try to schedule a task for Calculator from the steps mentioned here  ; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308569 and let us know if that task executed as expected .

Regards,

• 7. Re: Scheduled Scan not working as should
                      Nisa51

Task scheduler works ok, no problems with it. Tested on Calculator. Also there is other items on the list that work ok as well. McAfee is not listed there by the way. Should it be?

• 8. Re: Scheduled Scan not working as should

I have experienced similar problems since a major McAfee update some weeks ago; even leaving the machine on all night with all applications closed does not necessarily result in the scan being performed.  Sometimes it will kick in days late.

• 9. Re: Scheduled Scan not working as should

Hi Nisa,

I sincerely apologize for unintended product behavior. I appreciate you helping us to get to the bottom of this.

Here's what i am going to request of you: click on about section and send us your product version. It should read something like this:

McAfee Security Center

Version: 11.0

Build: 11.0.572

Affid: 0-906

Language: en-us

Last update: 07/24/2011

Additionally, i am going to request you to send me your schedule scan settings, should look something like this:

scheduled scan.png

If you do have to run a full scan, go ahead and run it w/o requiring to turn off schedule scan settings. Essentially i am requesting that you not change your schedule scan settings atall. Also i am going to suggest that you not worry about runnin manual scan as long as your scheduled scan is on. The reason being, our product has a logic that if it identifies that machine has not gone into idle state for extended period of time (for some reason), it starts irrespectively. By you turnng the scheduled scan setting ON/OFF, unintentionally you are resetting its timer.

Once again, apprecaite your patience.

Regards,

Madhurima

1 2 3 Previous Next