Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1420 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2011 5:44 PM by Hayton RSS
peterbros Newcomer 1 posts since
Aug 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 1, 2011 5:49 PM

McAfee not blocking megfeb - why?

I have set up McAfee antispam filter to block any incoming messages that sender-contains megfeb, of which I have had many across several months. Here's an example - megfeb(at)scaleroome.com

The filter does not work - that's how the example above got into my intray this morning. Nor does the Thunderbird flltering system.

I cannot find mention of megfeb in the forums - am I the only one? If not can anybody tell me how I can stop them getting through, please?                   

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 2/08/11 8:48:29 AM smudged email addy

on 2/08/11 8:49:13 AM
  • okv McAfee Employee 92 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    1. Aug 1, 2011 3:44 PM (in response to peterbros)
    Re: McAfee not blocking megfeb - why?

Try to change to:

header-contains megfeb.

If it does not work I will need a missed message so I could see what's wrong.

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,590 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    2. Aug 1, 2011 6:23 PM (in response to peterbros)
    Re: McAfee not blocking megfeb - why?

Are you sure that sender address wasn't "megfeb-at-scalrmes-dot-com"? That address is blacklisted by www.trash-mail.com .

I have also found a number of notifications of suspect emails from "megfeb@.....", so you're not alone. There is apparently a registered username of "megfeb" on YouTube, Flickr, and Twitter, which does not mean that this a real person. There are hundreds of highly suspect webpages containing garbage - random collections of names and keywords, set up solely to be crawled by web search engines - which contain the "megfeb" tag.

I can't say why the Anti-Spam filter doesn't correctly mark as spam the email you mentioned if you've set up a Custom Filtering Rule to block any message with "megfeb" in the sender field, but setting the detection level to Aggressive in Spam Protection Levels might help.

Edit - There is a document in Security Awareness Best Practices which really should be here in the Anti-Spam section : "Submitting Spam Samples to McAfee". From that document :

Submitting missed or low scoring spam manually
    For items which are actually spam but failed to be captured by a McAfee product either due to a new method of spam delivery, or where the spam detection rules were insufficient to trigger the appropriate response (for example, scored 4.9 or less), use the following email  address :

customer+missed-spam@clicknet.com

Message was edited by: Hayton on 02/08/11 00:23:20 IST

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points