2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2012 1:12 PM by inachu

VSE Feature add-on wishlist

Hey,

Do you guys have any feature that you would like to have in future releases of VSE? I know there's something in Mcafee Site where you could request a change or feature but i've been sending them requests and they have yet to provide feedback on whether they would apply my requested feature or my request  was just purely impossible to make?!?

Anyhow, here's my list of features that i wanted to have in my future VSE version:

1) Multi Platform VSE remote console - enables your VSE to remote console any other VSEs regardless of what version a PC may have.

- Current Setup: VSE can only do the remote console IF the PC that you are trying to connect to have THE SAME version of VSE.

- PROS: 1)This would be great for troubleshooting; especially if you do not want to provide support via phone with a d*mbA** end-user

2) You wouldn't have to downgrade your VSE to the version of the PC that you are trying to connect to.

2) Artemis / GTI DNS Configuration Add-on

- To add a DNS configuration which GTI will use to connect to Mcafee GTI website. (you know, just like the proxy settings in the AutoUpdate           Configuration

-Current Setup: NONE. You have to setup the DNS IP on the machine for it to work

- PROS: 1) You can do all this configuration in the installation designer instead of having to create a batch file or creating a group policy or           something like that. Also this will benefit Administrators that is handling thousands of computers that IS NOT ON A DOMAIN!!!!

3) Having a SINGLE agent for all Mcafee products

- Having a single agent means a single service and means lower CPU utilization

- Current Setup: Well, all the agentS are consolidated on a single agent but technically it is still a 1agent per product system which sucks           actually. (HIPS agent, Mcafee Agent, DLP Agent, etc)

4) Unlimited "User defined-Unwanted programs list"

- Current Setup: I think it's restricted to 30 or 50..I forgot..

5) Faster

- Ive tested VSE 8.8 and the OD Scan (Scan32.exe) really did improve it's speed which is a miracle!! Thank god for that!!! But after a few minutes,           while OD Scan is running (on a very low RAM footprint and low CPU utilization - doesn't exceed 10% actually) OA Scan (mcshield.exe) suddenly           increased to 80-90%!! OA Scan only returned to normal when i cancelled OD Scan..geez, is this some kind of joke? Do i have to set exclusions           for the OD Scan service in the OA Scan? I think OA Scan SHOULD already recognize other MCafee service and should be excluding them           automatically.

So for now, we're sticking to 8.7...

• 1. Re: VSE Feature add-on wishlist
          wwarren

Good ideas.

I hope you also submit them to the PER submission page:

https://secure.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/products/products-enhancement-request.a spx?region=us

Comments for a couple of the ideas -

darkshyre wrote:

5) Faster

- Ive tested VSE 8.8 and the OD Scan (Scan32.exe) really did improve it's speed which is a miracle!! Thank god for that!!! But after a few minutes,           while OD Scan is running (on a very low RAM footprint and low CPU utilization - doesn't exceed 10% actually) OA Scan (mcshield.exe) suddenly           increased to 80-90%!! OA Scan only returned to normal when i cancelled OD Scan..geez, is this some kind of joke? Do i have to set exclusions           for the OD Scan service in the OA Scan? I think OA Scan SHOULD already recognize other MCafee service and should be excluding them           automatically.

So for now, we're sticking to 8.7...

FYI, what you saw was expected behavior from the design improvements of ODS in VSE 8.8.

In order to reduce footprint, the ODS is leveraging the scanner that's already loaded in the MCSHIELD.EXE process. That is why you see that process being busy now when ODS is running. It's not because the OAS is scanning what the ODS is doing. Also, if you try to use the system and do activity - assuming you had the ODS throttle to "below normal" per the best practice guide, then you would not notice any performance lag on a standard system. And, the scan would complete in an exceedly shorter amount of time compared to 8.7i because ODS in 8.8 uses multiple scanning threads.

4) Unlimited "User defined-Unwanted programs list"

- Current Setup: I think it's restricted to 30 or 50..I forgot..

The limit in 8.8 is 200. The limit in 8.7i is 50. You can add more but they won't be honored.

• 2. Re: VSE Feature add-on wishlist

I have my own issues but I wan Mcafee enterprise to be as streamlined as possible!

They say technology needs time to mature but it seems some features are not implemented when other programs on the market have been using these features for years!

Here is my own wishlist.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------

A.    The installer be it the AGENT MSI or the Antivirus MSI install can be right clicked to choose UNINSTALL of any older version of Mcafee.

Most modern programs can uninstall older version of themselves so why can't Mcafee Enterprise?

B.   If client/customer of Mcafee Enterprise is having issues then have a file that will do a rough removal that should be done in safemode.

Common guys its not hard to do!   Just run a program on a virgin OS that watches registry changes and folder changes then out put those changes in a bathc files that can reverse those changes!   its not hard to do.     I have been asking for something like this for the past 3-5 versions!

C.  Enterprise also means you are most likely on a trusted secure network.  No need to have a babby sitter sitting at the Mcafee console log to accept agents.

Let the agents be auto accepted based on who is logged into the machine!  if user unknown then do not allow agent to be accepted into console.

-------  RING----- RING!!!!   Hello?  Hi Bob why hasn't Mcafee enterpise features been pushed to client?

Oh sorry Jane doe had to go home early and her work station is locked and nobody else has rights to to use it to accept any further clients....  IT TECH OUT IN THE FIELD AUTO RESPONSE....."ARRRRRGGGGHH!!!!!!"

---  Seriously.  Do not base a product that makes it dependant on more than just 1 party.  To have an employee base his performace on whether or not some admin is at work or not is not right at all at any level of software design.   Yeah you could says have someone else trained but its still not fool proof.

---RING RING...   Oh sorry all the admins who control Mcafee live in an area that had a forest fire and are unable to come to work due to losing their home.

/facepalm/

I have seen employees fired because they were not able to perform their jobs due to someone else not being at work and managers with low IQ say that is no excuse!   So give the end tech  more control or none at all is what I say.

D.   Once agent is installing let it be a smart agent and let it uninstall older mcafee products or overwrite.

Message was edited by: inachu on 1/28/12 1:09:23 PM CST

Message was edited by: inachu on 1/28/12 1:12:13 PM CST