4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 9:21 PM by darkshyre

DLP to Protect Source Code?

Hi All,

Has anyone used DLP to protect source code? I'd be interested to learn more.

Thanks,

WStokes

• 1. Re: DLP to Protect Source Code?

Do you mean protecting the unwanted transfer of C (.C) and C++ (.CPP) files to USB/email etc? 

You can achive this by creating a protection rule based on the file extensions.

• 2. Re: DLP to Protect Source Code?

I am asking on behalf of an ISV - they had a breach that compromised their source code, and are looking at DLP to prevent this type of breach.

• 3. Re: DLP to Protect Source Code?

HDLP can block only the file transfers ( data leakage). If some one tries to copy the contents of the source code ( from C/ C++ files for example) to an email/website/USb etc , HDLP protection rule can block it. HDLP doesnt do any integrity check and cannot block the file access/modification- if thats what  the customer wants. For that kind of protection they may have to use other products (there should be one from McAfee, but I'm not sure which one)

• 4. Re: DLP to Protect Source Code?

Hey guys,

Regarding satheeshhpd's statement:

HDLP doesnt do any integrity check and cannot block the file access/modification- if thats what  the customer wants.

- This is true since HDLP only prevents leaking of data outside the company assets.

For that kind of protection they may have to use other products (there should be one from McAfee, but I'm not sure which one)

- No there are no available products from Mcafee that can address file access and modification. The technology that can do this is Rights Management.

Mcafee knew about this and decided to form a special partnership with one of the best RM solution providers in the industry. Adobe.

Look it up. I'm sure there's an article here in the forum regarding that partnership. And i believe Mcafee is offering a DLP package / suite that can be integrated to Adobe LiveCycle Rights Management. THo, it's kind of pricy..IMO.