5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2011 4:25 PM by sherr

Reconfig send mail in MFE appliance.

galaxyus

HI all,

Dose Anyone have expirence reconfig Send mail, SMTP mail in MFE appliance Ver 8.1.1? I'm using ( Domain 2k8 R2- Exchange 2010)

I'm appreciate all of your guide.

• 1. Re: Reconfig send mail in MFE appliance.
          PhilM

In my experience, the most likely cause of this message is due to a build-up of notification e-mails on the appliance.

There are 3 directories on the appliance where mail messages could be queuing:-

/var/spool/mqueue.1

/var/spool/mqueue.2

/var/spool/mqueue.c

If there are files in mqueue.1 or mqueue.2 these are most likely going to be messages with incorrect e-mail addresses in them (maybe a user has mis-spelled a domain name and the message is being retried).

I tend to find that System-generated messages (firewall alerts and notifications) will be in the mqueue.c directory.

Another way of checking this is to run the "mailq" command on the Firewall. If there is a delay before any output is displayed, then there are probably a lot of messages sitting in the queue). But you will also be able to see sender and recipient details along with a reason why the message is still sitting in that queue.

I personally don't know how to dequeue mail, but I have found that deleting the contents of these directories will allow you to re-run the reconfigure mail tool.

Hope this helps.

Phil.

• 2. Re: Reconfig send mail in MFE appliance.
            galaxyus

Hi Phil,

I checked mailq already. there're some mail sitting in the queue ( that's mail from fw send to mail system). Some mail still there so we can not reconfig mail tool. Where can I flush or delete mail in the queue of Firewall, Phil?

I'm appreciated for your guide.

Galax

• 3. Re: Reconfig send mail in MFE appliance.
              PhilM

Galax,

I admit that this isn't a very elegant solution, but I simply navigate to the directory containing the messages and I run the command "rm -rf *" to delete all the files. If there are too many files in the directory the command will fail, which means that you will need to look at the filenames in this directory and remove them in batches.

- Phil.

• 4. Re: Reconfig send mail in MFE appliance.
                galaxyus

Phil,

Tks for ur guide,Phil. It's done for me.

/var/spool/mqueue.2

rm -rf /var/spool/mqueue.2

cf sendmail rebuild

Galax.

• 5. Re: Reconfig send mail in MFE appliance.

If there are too many files to be delete with the "rm -rf *" command; it will produce the error: ERROR:/bin/rm argument list too long message which is resolved by the instruction from KB63819, "Firewall Enterprise: ERROR:/bin/rm argument list too long message (when trying to delete many files)" from http://kc.mcafee.com.