2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 7:28 AM by Dinz

How to find out the name of a trojan / virus that was quarantined?

I have McAfee VirusScan 15.0.

I was working and VirusScan popped up an alert saying it has quarantined something that was infecting FireFox, named something like "hidden HTML exploit."

I dismissed the alert because i was busy.

Later I looked in the quarantine directory and it contains numbered .bup files.

The Report feature of VirusScan doesn't tell me the names of what it quarantined.

How can I find out the actual name of this latest infecting thing?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to find out the name of a trojan / virus that was quarantined?
          Peacekeeper

Have you tried navigation and history and logs and look in the detection and or threats area and see if anything is mentioned

• 2. Re: How to find out the name of a trojan / virus that was quarantined?
            Dinz

Hi there,

Please find the steps to navigate to the location where your McAfee quarantined those potentially unwatned programs for your PC and decide your next course of action from here;

1. Double-click the M icon in your taskbar.
            2. Click Navigation.
            3. Click the Quarantined and Trusted Items link.
            4. Click the Quarantined Items drawer.
            5. Select specific items individually or click Select all.
            6. Click the button for the action you want to perform:
            •    Delete will permanently remove the quarantined item.

IMPORTANT: Do not restore a quarantined item unless you are sure it is safe.
              • Restore will release the item from quarantine and restore it to the location where it was detected.
              • Send to McAfee will automatically generate a virus submission with McAfee Labs.

Close McAfee SecurityCenter.

Quarantined Items.JPG

Regards,