3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2008 6:17 AM by tonyb99

VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0 keeps losing exclusion

Hi all,
      Problem Description:
      We have two external hard drives, both identical Buffalo 500Gb USB2, which we rotate for nightly Backups but every few days the 'Safe Removal' fails saying the drive is still in use and then I can go into McAfee and (re)add the drive as excluded in the 'Scanning Fixed Disks' section of the McAfee settings and I can then successfully do a 'Safe Removal'. McAfee keeps losing the excluded drive (which is always drive G no matter which external drive is plugged in). Does anyone have any ideas on why/how to resolve this or a work around?

Thanks in advance. Lee

Environment/System details:
      1) Which operating system do you have and how much RAM?
      Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server Version 5.2.3790
      Service Pack 1 Build 3790
      2Gb RAM

2) Which McAfee products have you (but may have uninstalled) had on your machine previously?
      As far as I'm aware this server has only had McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0

3) Which programs do you currently have installed? (Version Numbers help.)
      McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0
      Patch Versions: 10

4) Is your operating system an upgrade from a previous version and which operating system are you using?
      Not upgrade. Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server Version 5.2.3790
      Service Pack 1 Build 3790

5) What file system are you using? (Open My Computer, right click on your C: and select Properties)
      NTFS

6) How are you connected to the Internet? (Dialup/broadband)
      SDSL

7) Version numbers are different depending on where you are in the world. What part of the world are you in. (example- US/UK)
      UK
        • 1. RE: VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0 keeps losing exclusion
          tonyb99
          So locally on the the server in the virusscan console, in the On Access Scanner properties, you have an explicit exclusion for G:\
          This server isnt managed by EPO or PP and the exclusion still shows up there when you check? or is it gone all together?
          • 2. Viruscan issue
            Hi,

yes this is locally on the Server. It was in the Scanning Fixed Disks section that keeps losing the G: Drive exclusion but you've made me realise that I hadn't set an exlusion in the On-Access Scanner section in the console.

Putting an exclusion in the On-Access Scanner is likely going to resolve my issue of the Drive not allowing a 'Safe Removal' but still leaves the Fixed Disk scanning exclusion where it keeps losing the G: Drive exclusion.

I'm going to let things run for the rest of the week and report back here with the results.

Thanks for your reply.
            • 3. RE: Viruscan issue
              tonyb99
              Be inclusive not exlcusive on the scan settings, remove the option for fixed disks then add in the disks you do want to scan as seperate disks.