4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 2:18 AM by Attila Polinger

ePO, VSE, and the Command Line function

Good afternoon!

I have a quick question for the community.

In the environment I am supporting they are currently manually deploying the 4.6 agents that will then communicate with the 4.6 ePO server I set up. I created a task to deploy VSE to the computers that report back. Unfortunately not having a "All is well" end of task selection after the product has installed is a problem. I attempted to add a command line SetupVSE.exe REBOOT=F /qb+1

Unfortunately it does not appear to be working at all and I have had to remove it. Is the Command line option below the deployment packages only require the command line switches or was I correct in my original thinking and just missed something else?

Any and all help appreciated.

• 2. Re: ePO, VSE, and the Command Line function
          Attila Polinger

Hi,

what did you want to achieve with the command line switch(es) ?

The installation can be tracked remotely (provided you enabled remote access of agent logs centrally) via http://actual_client_name:8081.There are other logfiles on clients for more detailed installation logging.

Is the 1 character at the end of the /qb+ switch intended to be there? I'm not sure if it is a valid switch there (it may be, though)...

Also, only the switches need to be put on the field serving for command line switches, the string "Setupvse.exe" should not be there

Attila

• 3. Re: ePO, VSE, and the Command Line function

So just the switches in that command line box. I did pull up the agent and various logs but never saw anything where it was a problem. However, the task was not running at all so I ended up getting rid of the command line option.

The qb+! is intended as per the VSE setup guide:

qb+ — Basic user interface with a modal dialog box displayed at the end of installation.

Use qb+! or qb!+ to hide the Cancel button. The modal dialog box is not displayed if the

user cancels the installation.

Right now the way everything works is that they have to monitor the logs to make sure that the installation has completed. For many this is not a problem but a few rather have a better means in seeing the task come to an end.

Thanks for the feedback. i went through the manual again and did not see anything about the command line argument but I have been in a rush with everything going on here.

• 4. Re: ePO, VSE, and the Command Line function
              Attila Polinger

Some additional ideas why VSE deployment task would not run:

- you want to deploy VSE 8.y.z where VSE 8.x.y are already present. Since major versions match, task won't install VSE (although task will start running)

- clients are Windows 7 and task is not defined to run on Windows 7 (this is a problem associoated with ePO 4.5, but potentially be present in 4.6 as well. Please check out KB67347.

- scheduling anomalies (please check if the task appears in agent log as "Next run time [something valid]"

I do not have agent 4.6 so I cannot check inhouse your problem, sorry.

However you should attach agent log and mcscript.log from one problem client that is certified not to have run the task (with screenshot of what you want to deplyo and screenshots of the client property page "Installed products".

Attila