6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2011 4:19 AM by JoeBidgood

Can't seem to resolve system names...

ePO 4.5 on a standalone Windows 2003 system.  Working within a Multi Domain windows 2008 R2 IPV4&6 environment.  AD is at 2008 R2 Functional level.  AD Integrated DNS for the Domain members.  No GlobalName Zones.

I can resolve names from the CMD line, the system had the IP’s of all the first DC’s within the Root and three child Domains.  The ePO server resides in the Resource Domain.  When I add a system within a System Tree Sub Group, and try to Pint it from the ePO console, I get no results.  Configuration look good from the ePO console.

The deployed agents and products within the Forrest were actually installed with a different production ePO server, (before my time here).  The server I’m utilizing is a different system.  There is no connectivity from the Clown environment to the original production EPO server.  The overall environment is a soon to be production “VM Cloud” environment.

We’ll probably run an uninstall CMD via SCCM on the system to remove the preexisting Agents, unless they can be repointed.  Still looking thought the ePO Product guide with now luck on that.

Any pointer would be appreciated on how to run this problem down.

Bryan Wilburn

• 1. Re: Can't seem to resolve system names...
          Tristan

Are you adding systems to the new epo console but not deploying the agent?

If so deploying a new agent, to the computers, from the new epo console will get them reporting correctly.

• 2. Re: Can't seem to resolve system names...

Thanks for the input.

I’m adding the clients to the console, then trying to do a Ping of the system from within the console.  I’m getting a status of failed to ping the client.  When I try to deploy an agent, it fails’.  All the ports are configured per install guidelines.

To add to the interest, all the systems (about 50) have the same GIUD, and are pointing to the original ePO server.  The only problem is the environment is segregated from the original ePO server and can’t communicate to it.  The entire environment is air gapped.

By any chance will deleting the GUID and repointing the Agent work??

Bryan

• 3. Re: Can't seem to resolve system names...
              hem

ePO ping function will not work till the machine's status in the ePO server is 'managed' and it's communicating to the server.

Cmd ping is different than ePO ping.

If it's GUID conflict then machine will be communicating to the ePO server but will not appear to the ePO server. This can be verified from the client machine. Please initiate ASCI from the client machine (from agent montior window, click on the tabs 1-collect and send props, 2- enforce policies etc). Please look into sitelist.xml file and see if it's pointing to the correct ePO server.

If it's GUID conflict then yes, I will suggest you to delete GUID, restart the framework server and see if the machine appears to the ePO server.

• 4. Re: Can't seem to resolve system names...

Thanks for the information.

While I can delete the GUID entry from within the Registry, I can’t restart the Framework service without first rebooting the system.  The Start, Stop Disabled, attributes on the Framework service are grayed out.  Rebooting the VM guest does not seem to force it to regenerate a new GUID.  It comes back with no GUID at all.

The Sitelist.xml file has multiple entries to systems that are not accessible from the ePO client.  Superdat repositories and the Master ePO server, etc.  Yesterday all the clients decided to phone home and flooded the switch.

I’m trying to determine if it would be easier to push out a replacement siteList.XML, or simply forcibly remover the Agent and McAfee software to enable a reinstall.

The ePO server is presently a “standalone system” - can it be joined to a domain?

Any thoughts??

Bryan

• 5. Re: Can't seem to resolve system names...
                  Attila Polinger

Hi Bryan,

Am I correct in summarizing your problem here: you have agents/clients connecting to an ePO server. You have a new ePO server with different name and IP than the old one. YOu want to connect clients with the new ePO server. If so, there is an easy way to do that without importing AD again.

As for pushing agents to clients from the new ePO server: I would say because this is not in the same domain (or in a trusted domain with that of the clients) therefore you canot puish out agents, even when you know the local admin password for every client.

Later on you can join that to a domain. But I would say this is a more complicated process than the easy one.

Attila

• 6. Re: Can't seem to resolve system names...
                    JoeBidgood
                    Rebooting the VM guest does not seem to force it to regenerate a new GUID.  It comes back with no GUID at all.

Just to weigh in on this point - can you confirm exactly what you did when you removed the GUID? From what you describe here it sounds like you have removed the AgentGUID value's data, whereas what is required is to remove the entire value...

HTH -

Joe