1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2011 1:19 PM by pammirab

Fake Alert Windows 7 fix

A few days ago I picked up a Windows 7 fix Trojan fake alert. McAfee caught it and quarantined it but this thing took the desktop icons, my favorites and is hiding and or has deleted the windows menu. I ran malwarebytes and the McAfee stinger and these programs do not detect the Trojan, hooray....but the items that are missing have not been corrected. Now my McAfee center says my computer is at risk.  Can you help me?

Thanks,

Linda

• 1. Re: Fake Alert Windows 7 fix
          SamSwift

Hi Linda,

Please try running our fakealert stinger - make sure you run the 'fix to scan' setting first of all. It's not switched on by default - the instructions can be found on the link.

I'll move this over to the Top Threat space which is where we're monitoring for fake-av related posts.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Sam

• 2. Re: Fake Alert Windows 7 fix

Sam,

Thanks very much for responding to my plea for help.  I ran the Mcafee stinger as you suggested and I still have the problem.

Also, what must I do to get real time scanning working properly? I've tried to run the virtual tech app, but there's a error that has caused the program to stop working correctly.  Yikes!!!!

thanks

• 3. Re: Fake Alert Windows 7 fix
              SamSwift

Hi Linda,

I'd need to defer to one of the volunteer mods for the product side, but as far as the malware was concerned can you advise what the detection name we gave it was please?

Cheers,

Sam

• 4. Re: Fake Alert Windows 7 fix

Sam,

The detection name was Windows 7 fix. 

• 5. Re: Fake Alert Windows 7 fix

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your feedback.

Regarding "Windows 7fix", this may be the window title you received at the time of infection.

Would be good for us to have the malware name. I do not know what product version you are using, but I will try to help you on getting some details.

Please open your McAfee Console and click on "Navigation" on the top right menu. Select "Quarantined and Trusted Items" and you will have three kind of quarantine. Please expand "Quarantined Items" and you should have the detected file listed in there. Kindly check the malware name which shows up and let us know. You may also want to send us the sample for analysis. In this case, please just select row where you have the the file name in question and click on the "Send to McAfee" button.

Hope this helps!

Patty

• 6. Re: Fake Alert Windows 7 fix

Thanks Patty,

The send to McAfee failed on each of the lines so here are the quarantined items: fakealert grb, fakealert grbr detected on 7/7, 7/8 and artemis! 997DD0A979C3, artemis 6FCF79CCDDED, artemis! 6F987F277C99.    

Not sure how but the SecurityCenter is now protecting my pc.  Thank God!!

Let me know if there is something else you need in stopping these kinds of things happening to innocent people.

Thanks so much for you assistance,

Linda

• 7. Re: Fake Alert Windows 7 fix

Thank you for your follow up, Linda !

Glad to know your Security Center is now protecting your PC

I will take a look at those detections and will let you know of any updates.

Cheers,

Patty

• 8. Re: Fake Alert Windows 7 fix

Hi Linda,

The files detected as Artemis!997DD0A979C3, Artemis!6FCF79CCDDED and Artemis!6F987F277C99 are now detected as DNSChanger.cq.a, FakeAlert-SysDef.b and FakeAlert-SysDef.b, respectively, in our current DAT set. Please make sure your DAT files are up to date.

As the FakeAlert Stinger tool is updated daily, we recommend you to try its new version, available at https://community.mcafee.com/message/195573#195573, running the 'fix to scan'setting as Sam has mentioned in her previous response.

You can read more about FakeAlert-SysDef.b at http://www.mcafee.com/threat-intelligence/malware/default.aspx?id=518453 . The MD5 hash listed on the description may be random, as this detection will hit on multiple files.

Please let us know if it helps.

Cheers,

Patty

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Fake Alert Windows 7 fix

Hi Patty,

Thanks very much ...I will use the new version of the stinger tool today.

I have another question.  Even though the malware scans and the anti-virus scans do not detect any threats is it unsafe to pay bills and make purchases online using my credit cards?

Thanks,

Linda

1 2 Previous Next