2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2011 10:15 PM by mel48

Full Scan yielded a Generic PUP.x - not sure what to do with that

mel48

Hello,

I just did a full system scan with McAfee Anti Virus Plus 2011 and it came back with 1 Unwanted Program:

Generic PUP.x in two folders:

C:\ProgramFIles\America Online 9.0\Jiti\toolbr.exe

C:\Program Files\AOL90US\comps\toolbar\toolbr.exe

I ended up clicking Trust because I thought AOL could be trusted....but now I am thinking it's all fake to make me think it is aol when in fact it is a virus of some sort....?  

How do I untrust it after I've already clicked trust?

And what do I do from here?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Full Scan yielded a Generic PUP.x - not sure what to do with that
          Hayton

If you've got or have had AOL then It's not a virus; plenty of other people have asked about it in other forums. It is though classed as Adware, hence the notification by McAfee - it's alerting to you to a Potentially Unwanted Program.

If you're not happy having this on your system try uninstalling it. I don't know if it's listed in the Add/Remove Programs list, or within your browser under Add-Ons (extensions, plugins, whatever). You could always run Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware or Spybot - these programs should give you the option to remove it. Just going into c:\program files and deleting the exe files won't remove any registry entries they've set up.

• 2. Re: Full Scan yielded a Generic PUP.x - not sure what to do with that
            mel48

Hi Hayton,  yes  AOL is on this machine and it is used on a regular basis.  I think I will do a run with malwarebytes though just in case.  Thanks!