1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2011 6:04 AM by mel48

Having Trouble installing McAfee AntiVirus Plus - java script issue

mel48

Hello,

I hope i have this in the right discussion area.   I am on a laptop Windows XP SP3 2002 Home Version.  I am trying to install the 2011 AntiVirus Plus CD on the laptop and am getting an error message stating there is a problem with Javascript on my computer.  I read the few other threads with similar issues, however, the instructions did not work for me.

I uninstalled Java (older version) and installed latest version.

I put CMD in the run window and  typed in the regsvr32jscript.dll in the black window, but it then said it was an unrecognized internal and external file path (or such) and nothing happened. 

Please advise as to what I need to do here.....much obliged!

Mel

• 1. Re: Having Trouble installing McAfee AntiVirus Plus - java script issue
          Peacekeeper

Best you contact chat they will sort this out in a jif. Use the link to Technical support in the useful links tab above

• 2. Re: Having Trouble installing McAfee AntiVirus Plus - java script issue
            mel48

Thanks for your reply, but is there a way to just get instructions here?  I don't want to download the chat feature.  

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Having Trouble installing McAfee AntiVirus Plus - java script issue
              Hayton

regsvr32 jscript.dll : read the Microsoft Support article about this at  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831430

... If the file does not register as expected, or if you receive an error message, the system file may be missing or damaged.

You should be able to recover the system file by following the instructions in the article, which was written for XP users.

• 4. Re: Having Trouble installing McAfee AntiVirus Plus - java script issue
                mel48

Thank you Hayton, that was helpful, but I ran into a few issues in following those instructions. 

I got as far as this step: 

In the Restore from box, type the path of                    the Windows XP .cab file where you want to restore the file, or click                    Browse From to locate the Windows XP .cab file.

Note The Windows XP .cab files are stored in the I386 folder on the                    Windows XP CD.

And I was not sure what .cab file I am looking for exactly? By way of 'Browse From' I opened the I386 folder and saw nothing that said java or regsvr32 or such. 

If you or anyone else knows what .cab file I need to choose to put into the Restore from box, please let me know.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Having Trouble installing McAfee AntiVirus Plus - java script issue
                  Hayton

Let's backtrack. The message you originally got would have read as follows - " <commandname> is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file." That implies that the system did not recognise what you entered in the cmd window. Perhaps you typed 'Srvr', or didn't leave a space after "RegSvr32". It certainly looks like the response to a typing error. It's worth trying again - make sure you're doing this with Administrator privileges - but try specifying the full path of the file.

jscript dll files.JPG

On my XP system I did a Search for Files from the Start Menu, and I have four jscript.dll files, each one a different version and with a different date. Do a search on your system, and check versions and dates for each file that comes up. The latest version number should be on the one in c:\windows\system32. If that's the case, put the full pathname in the command line, so that what you enter should be :

"RegSvr32 c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll" (without the quotes).

If the file is damaged and needs replacing, one easy way to do it is as part of a System File Check. In a command window just type "sfc /scannow" and all your system files will be checked and if necessary replaced. Any replacements should come from the DLL cache - but sometimes this process will ask you to insert a CD in order to populate the cache. I've tried it, and had no problems; but it takes a long time to run, and it may be overkill just for one file. There is also the slight problem that any replacement may well be an earlier version than the file it's replacing; and finding authorised (and safe) copies of latest-version XP system files isn't always easy - sometimes Microsoft can't or won't supply them.

So try re-running the RegSvr32 command, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works.

Edit :- My 4 files had dates and versions as follows

1 :  c:\i386                                                  : Version 5.6.0.6626               Size : 580Kb

Date : 06 July 2002

2 :  c:\windows\ie8                                   : Version 5.7.6002.22145      Size : 500Kb

Date : 16 July 2010

3 :  c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386  : Version 5.7.0.16599             Size : 500Kb

Date : 04 August 2004

4 :  c:\windows\system32                      :  Version 5.8.6001.23141     Size : 709Kb

Date : 13 January 2003

I don't know why the active dll file has the latest version but not the most recent date. That's Microsoft for you.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 16/07/11 05:29:48 IST
                  • 6. Re: Having Trouble installing McAfee AntiVirus Plus - java script issue
                    mel48

alright, here is what transpired.....no luck unfortunately.

I did in fact neglect to put the space in between the regsvr32 and jscript.dll (couldn't really see that with these tiny fonts).  So tried it again and sure enough it seemed to work....got a "success" message. Rebooted.  Inserted disc again.  But I got same error message about javascript.

I did a search for the jscript.dll files and it showed there to be 7 of them.  Of those 7, the most recent was the Windows System 32 one: version 5.8.6001.23141, created 8/4/04 and modified 3/3/11 (US dates).

So I went back to 'run' and put in the entire command file name as you suggested and again got a "success" message.  Rebooted.  Inserted disc.  But again, got same error message about the javascript. 

Both of those times I also got a message saying they were having a hard time installing but to click "ok" and they'll fix it and resume installation.  I clicked ok and nothing happened but to keep getting same message again and again.

Now what? 

• 7. Re: Having Trouble installing McAfee AntiVirus Plus - java script issue
                      Peacekeeper

Still feel chat the way to go though do you have MS office 2007 installed?

If so read this

• 8. Re: Having Trouble installing McAfee AntiVirus Plus - java script issue
                        mel48

Hi Peacekeeper, it's MS Office 2003 - this is a borrowed laptop and is not used that often (my pc happens to be on the fritz.) and it is a very slow functioning laptop which is why I was hesitant to do the chat thing as I didn't want to bog it down any further....but not really sure if it would or not.  I guess I'll give it a go and see if I can get a solution that way.  Thanks

• 9. Re: Having Trouble installing McAfee AntiVirus Plus - java script issue
                          mel48

ok, just did the virtual technition and the results came up saying two problems could not be fixed, both of which are due to product expiration....but the disc is the 2011 disc that was just recently purchased, so really don't know how that could be expired already.   

1 2 Previous Next