9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2011 7:36 AM by Peter M

Blank window

My Security Center stopped working a couple of months ago.  I haven't found a solution yet so here I am.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  I got Security Center from Cox, my isp.  The program works fine on my Vista laptop. 

I've seen the problem reported several times.  Solutions are to register a couple fo dll's, change a couple of settings in IE, all to no avail.  Does it matter that I don't use IE? 

Trying to uninstall it brings up a blank window too.

Please help,

Bill S.

• 1. Re: Blank window
          Peter M

What version of IE is installed?   This happened particularly with beta and RC editions of IE and can happen also if those versions weren't removed prior to installation of any final version of IE8 and IE9.  As McAfee uses IE for all UI display purposes it's critical whether it's your default browser or not.

Also your Win 7 should be SP1, there's help with that here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2205

• 2. Re: Blank window

It is IE 8.0.7601.17514.  Service Pack 1 has been installed. 

I set IE to the default browser and it still doesn't work.

I may have had a beta IE on the machine, the whole OS was beta.  But that's been well over a year and it worked after I installed the final version of Windows.

• 3. Re: Blank window
              Peter M

On a 64-bit system make sure that you using the 32-bit version of IE, if you are using it.   Very few plug-ins support 64-bit browsers.

That version number doesn't look like the final one to me as I am sure it was 18601 or thereabouts.  If it is listed in Programs or Installed Updates, uninstall it.

You don't need to set IE as the default, but it should be working.  First thing to try is go to IE Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, Apply and OK any prompts.   Close and reopen IE and go to Tools/manage Add-ons and re-enable any add-ons you need.

If that doesn't help then try this; install IE9 and see if this improves matters.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/default.aspx

It's more secure in any case so you should have it installed and even if you never use IE, always keep it up to date as many processes within Windows and outside Windows use it even when it is not the default browser.

If that fails then I suggest contacting Technical Support Online Chat linked under 'Useful Links' at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/07/11 6:48:26 EDT PM
              • 4. Re: Blank window

How do I tell if I'm using 32 or 64 bit IE?  There is one program I use that requires IE, but they warn not to use IE9.  Its business related so I'm stuck with IE8. 

IE is not listed under Programs and Features of Control Panel.  I wanted to uninstall and reinstall it but no luck.  I went to Windows Update to look for a newer version of IE8 but only found IE0.  I did the reset & apply for IE add-ons, no luck.  I went to Microsoft's site and found a 'Fix It' button but it didn't fix it. 

I guess the Online Chat is next.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Blank window
                  Peter M

Try installing IE9.   You can tell what browser version is by going to Help > About.

64-bit would appear in there.

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/07/11 7:38:30 EDT AM
                  • 6. Re: Blank window

There is one program I use that requires IE, but they warn not to use IE9.  Its business related so I'm stuck with IE8.

Try installing IE9.

This reply got me frustrated.  Now I just want to get rid of McAfee Security Suite.  But when I go to uninstall it, the window is blank.  I can't use the program.  I can't uninstall the program.  I can't fix the program.  I thought Norton's was bad.

How can I get this off my system?

• 7. Re: Blank window
                      Peter M

Did you try go to IE Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, Apply and OK any prompts.   Close and reopen IE and go to Tools/manage Add-ons and re-enable any add-ons you need.

You know you could try installing IE9 anyway and simply uninstall it afterwards, if that's what it takes.  That shouldn't take more than a few minutes of your time.

Sorry about all this but somewhere along the line IE has become corrupted and this is the result.

Meanwhile you could encourage that business to stay current for security's sake.

If all the above fails you have two choices:

1.  Go via online Technical Support Chat

2.  A very lengthy registry key deletion method of removal which takes hours.

Norton has its share of problems as do all software, switching brands every time there's a hitch isn't the solution.  This blank window is caused by browser problems - caused by who knows what - and the way to cure it is to have IE working as it should be.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/08/11 7:41:36 EDT AM
                      • 8. Re: Blank window

Did you try go to IE Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, Apply and OK any prompts.   Close and reopen IE and go to Tools/manage Add-ons and re-enable any add-ons you need.

YES

You know you could try installing IE9 anyway and simply uninstall it afterwards, if that's what it takes.  That shouldn't take more than a few minutes of your time.

I ASSUME THAT WHEN I INSTALL IE9 THAT IE8 WILL BE OVERWRITTEN.  I CAN'T HAVE THAT.  THE GREATER LAS VEGAS ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS' MULTIPLE LISTING SERVICE REQUIRES IE8.  I'VE ALREADY COMPLAINED TO THEM CONCERING THE REQUIREMENT OF IE.  AT LEAST THEY ARE UP FRONT ABOUT THEIR REQUIREMENTS.

If all the above fails you have two choices:

1.  Go via online Technical Support Chat

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.

2.  A very lengthy registry key deletion method of removal which takes hours.

FIGURES.  I'VE HAD TO DO THAT WITH OTHER FAULTY SOFTWARE.

• 9. Re: Blank window
                          Peter M

Are you by any chance running registry cleaners and optimizers?  This is the sort of thing that they cause.

Also if you ever install beta - anything, always uninstall it when the final version comes out and before installing the final one as that's another cause of this.

Install IE9 from Microsoft's website and try it.  You can by the way, run it in Compatibility Mode which means it will run pretending it's an older version which may solve the problem with this backward-thinking lot at "GREATER LAS VEGAS ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS' MULTIPLE LISTING SERVICE".

Uninstalling IE9 will return you to IE8 in any case, so there's no danger, only to your browser security.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/08/11 8:36:53 EDT AM