8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2011 8:49 AM by brentil

Upgrading ePO 4.5 to 4.6 cannot find SQL 2005 SP3

New customer and throughly frustrated with ePO, the install alone did not follow the instructions.  I got 4.5 installed and working, I want to install 4.6 before I start creating frame packages and pushing software.

Problem is when I run the setup it fails with no SQL 2005 SP3 installed and it is installed otherwise 4.5 wouldn't run.

I've tried stopping the services and running the install same problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Upgrading ePO 4.5 to 4.6 cannot find SQL 2005 SP3

Moved to our ePO area for better attention by a product expert.

• 2. Re: Upgrading ePO 4.5 to 4.6 cannot find SQL 2005 SP3

Thank you, I'd love to get past this and move on to using ePO.

• 3. Re: Upgrading ePO 4.5 to 4.6 cannot find SQL 2005 SP3

Just ran SQL2005 SP4 with services stopped and get the same error.

ePO46Fail.jpg

• 4. Re: Upgrading ePO 4.5 to 4.6 cannot find SQL 2005 SP3
                JoeBidgood

Hi...

The SQL services need to be running when you do the install (as do the ePO services if you're doing an upgrade.)

Do you get the same message if you run the install with the services started?

Also, just to clarify, are you trying to upgrade from 4.5 to 4.6, or do a clean install of 4.6?

Thanks -

Joe

• 5. Re: Upgrading ePO 4.5 to 4.6 cannot find SQL 2005 SP3

This would be an upgrade.  4.5 is working, I have done the install with services running and then tried stopping the service as mentioned in other threads.  Results are the same SQL2005 SP3 not found.  I went ahead and ran SP4 for SQL2005 and that made no difference, same error, SQL2005 SP3 or later not found.

Only reason I'm doing the upgrade is that this is our first time using the product and the install was difficult.  Once it was up and running I figure why build on it since I'm going to have to upgrade eventually anyways, do the upgrade now since I have no data to migrate yet.

• 6. Re: Upgrading ePO 4.5 to 4.6 cannot find SQL 2005 SP3

Still a problem....

No assist from McAfee...

• 7. Re: Upgrading ePO 4.5 to 4.6 cannot find SQL 2005 SP3
                      SergeM

Hi,

I'm trying to understand your issue here.

• You installed ePO 4.5 but had difficulty during the initial install.
                      • ePO 4.5 works and can work with the DB.
                      • You haven't started deploying any McAfee Agents on endpoint systems yet.
                      • You tried to upgrade from ePO 4.5 to ePO 4.6 and now it doesn't see the SQL DB or Server any more.
                      • Did the upgrade work or did it fail ?

Is that correct ?

• Is the SQL DB (MS SQL 2005 unless I'm wrong) on the same server as the ePO server ?
                      • What server OS are you using 2003 or 2008 ?
                      • Could it be there's a firewall between the DB and ePO server(s) ?  (including 2008's local firewall)
                      • Could you describe the difficulties you had during the initial ePO install ?
                      • Can you presently connect in the ePO console ?  (I'd assume not if ePO can't access the DB)
                      • Can you connect to the DB instance using MS SQL DB tools ?

I hope we can help find the issue here.

Serge

• 8. Re: Upgrading ePO 4.5 to 4.6 cannot find SQL 2005 SP3
                        brentil

Check to make sure what port your SQL server is running on, if it's not the standard one you need to add ,PORT after the name.

I would use the SQL Manager tools to check to see what version the SQL server thinks it is. 

Connect to the instance of SQL Server, and then run the following query:

Select @@version

This is the list of version #s for MS-SQL 2005.

SQL Server 2005 version information

The following table lists the major releases of SQL Server 2005.

ReleaseProduct version
                        SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 49.00.5000.00
                        SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 39.00.4035
                        SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 29.00.3042
                        SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 19.00.2047
                        SQL Server 2005 RTM9.00.1399

You can find all of this information from thsi article; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321185