1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 11, 2011 7:13 AM by michael_schneider

Large file downloads

phlrnnr

We've struggled with what to do with large file downloads in both MWG6 and MWG7.  It just never seems to work well.  If we are using data-trickling, users get anxious and don't understand why they are only getting 12 K per second.  We've also had some trouble with files getting 'stuck' in antimalware scanning, where the progress pages show it is scanning indefinitely, and it never quits, while causing a CPU spike in the process.

Are there any best practices for determining what files to scan with the Antimalware engine?  I'm wondering what other companies are doing around this.  Do a lot of companies bypass AV scanning for files bigger than a certain size?  Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Large file downloads
          michael_schneider

Generally we see that people are not limiting the file types they want to scan, you can of course do that. I have once configured a policy for a customr, where they only wanted application/executable, PDFs, images. That was it - not more.

For file sizes, we see that there is a slight tendency that orgs are only scanning up to a certain limit, whereas the limit varies between 10MB and 100MB.

I think a conclusive answer can't be given, as this is subject to your org's determination of the potential security risk.

best,

Michael