3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2008 2:06 PM by Maxitron

Red Square Brackets Around Tray Icon

Every now and then red square brackets appear around a tray icon of my VirusScan 8.5.0 i. I don't understand what's going on. It's very annoying and I don't really like it. Is there a way to get rid of them? Thx!

And another thing: when I click About to bring up a window with some general info on my product it says "Number of signatures in extra dat and number of threats that extra dat can detect is none" Is that normal?

Moved from "VirusScan 8 & Previous Versions" (Home) to "Desktop & Server" (Enterprise) - MOD
        • 1. Extra.dat is ok
          "Number of signatures in extra dat and number of threats that extra dat can detect is none" Is that normal?

That's normal. The only time either number would be greater than zero is if you had loaded an EXTRA.DAT file from McAfee to cover a threat that wasn't yet included in the standard daily DAT files.
          • 2. RE: Extra.dat is ok
            tonyb99
            the red surround to the tray icon means that one of the rules of VSE is being broken (at least in warn mode) this may mean for instance:

A virus has been detected and cleaned
            A file action has been blocked
            An access protection rule has been broken

IF you right click on the VSE tray icon (when it red) you will note that either on access scan messages (if it was a virus) or access protection log (if it was an access protection rule) will be shown, when you open this you will see the last thing that was reported, once you have accessed the log the red surround goes away until the next incidence.

So the red surround may mean something important or it may just be warning you about not a lot at all, it tends to depend on which rules you use in access protection.
            • 3. Thank you
              Thank you for your answers tonyb99 & Dr_Whom! Now I feel much better...