1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 13, 2008 5:02 AM by Gazz300

VirusScan 8.5i auto-update stalls when checking repository

Hi there,

We have over 100 computers in our school that use VirusScan 8.5i pointing to McAfee's default auto-update repository. We do not use ePolicy or anything like that, and we just recently (~2 months ago) moved from VS8.0 to 8.5.

There is exactly one computer in our school, however, that suddenly refuses to update. I've fully uninstalled and reinstalled VS85 a couple of times but to no avail. It auto-updated fine until February 4th and since then this is as far as it gets according to the logs, and then it just stalls there:

Checking update packages from repository NAIHttp.

We employ a Microsoft ISA server with a proxy to filter internet content. However, full access for the unauthenticated has been given to McAfee's repository page. We know it works because every other computer in the school auto-updates via the system service just fine.

We had this problem with a couple of other machines but uninstalling VirusScan and re-installing it seemed to do the trick. Also, applying a recent SuperDat first does not seem to help.

I'm completely out of ideas so I appreciate your help!

Edit: I should mention, I tried going into the Repository list and changed the proxy settings to 'direct connection' and that has not helped either, so I suspect the problem is local and not with our outbound access.