5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2012 1:07 PM by kquinn99 RSS

Firewall immediately turns itself off

3 days ago, I was working on some projects, using google search.. I noticed suddenly i was being redirected to 2 sites, a Canadian pharmacy site, and 100k search site.

Suddenly, I received a pop-up that said my firewall was disabled.

I went into the McAfee Security system to renable it, and it immediately shuts itself down.

I ran a full virus scan and it came up clean.

I system restored hoping that would fix it.  Still having the error.

I've downloaded TDSSKiller hoping it would be able to find something and still not.

Any advice would be appreacited.. thanks

• 1. Re: Firewall immediately turns itself off

I've ran the McAfee Health Check code.. and got this

MVT Information
                                MVT Version                    :6.0.0.0
          System Information
                                Operating System                    :Microsoft Windows 7 Business Edition(Build 7601)
                                Service Pack                    :Service Pack 1.0
                                Language                    :0409
                                Internet Explorer Version                    :8.0
                                Internet Explorer Language                    :en-us
                                System Drive Type                    :NTFS
                                Physical Memory Available                    :4194303
                                Physical Memory Total                    :4194303
                                Virtual Memory Available                    :14076596
                                Virtual Memory Total                    :16773688
                                System Architecture                    :AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor
                                Date Time                    :07/09/2011   13:36:18
                                Time Zone                    :                      GMT -06:00
          Product Details
          Product Name:VirusScan              - McAfee AntiVirus Plus
          Product Version:15.0.288
          Language:en-us
          Partner:McAfee
          Health Check Details
                            Registry                                      OK                   
                            File                                      OK                   
                            Process                                      OK                   
                            Service                                      OK                   
                            COM                                      OK                   
                              DAT and Engine                                          OK                     
                            Top Issues                                      OK                   
                            SYSTEM                                      OK                   

Product Name:QuickClean and Shredder              - McAfee AntiVirus Plus
          Product Version:11.0.393
          Health Check Details

Product Name:SecurityCenter
          Product Version:11.0.560
          Health Check Details

Product Name:SiteAdvisor
          Product Version:3.3.133
          Health Check Details

Product Name:Personal Firewall              - McAfee AntiVirus Plus
          Product Version:12.0.335
          Health Check Details
                            Service                1 service(s) incorrect                     
                                          Expected Service State Incorrect                             
                                      Expected : running
                                      Existing : stopped
                                        Service: McMPFSvc "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc

• 2. Re: Firewall immediately turns itself off
            Ex_Brit

If you used System Restore did you try updating your McAfee software immediately afterwards?   Also you should install Internet Explorer 9 as it is inherently safer than IE8, even if you use another browser as your default as some processes use it.

Try running Stinger but read the 'How to use...' first as it has settings which can be varied.  http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx

There is another type of Stinger for Fake Alert Malware which can also be tried: http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/fake-alert-stinger.aspx - if you've seen any indications of this type of malware.

Both of these tools can't be updated once installed so one should uninstall them and reinstall for each use.

Lastly, you could try using the FREE version of THIS tool but update it first to make sure it's current before running.

It can be installed, updated and run in 'Safe Mode with Networking' if necessary to avoid any barriers thrown up by certain malware.  That mode is reached by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and selecting #2 on the ensuing menu.

If this proves to be malware I'll move this thread accordingly for better attention.

Let me know how it goes.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/07/11 9:21:16 EDT AM
            • 3. Re: Firewall immediately turns itself off

ok.. I was able to fix the firewall continously turning itself off by:

1) running a full virus scan (it found a trojan by the name of Gtenic)

2) Uninstalling McAfee Completely

3) Reinstalling and restarting.

I havn't had the problem with the fire wall now, but the google problem still exists.  Anyone know a solution for this that dosn't include me having to reinstall Firefox from scratch?

• 4. Re: Firewall immediately turns itself off
                Ex_Brit

Never heard of that one, sure it wasn't trojan.generic?

Did you try the tool in the line starting with 'Lastly'?

• 5. Re: Firewall immediately turns itself off
                  kquinn99

I had the same issue after a Trojan infected my PC.  I used Virus Scan to find the Trojan and remove it BUT there were two more suspicious files in my Downloads folder (where the Virus got in).  They were identifiied as "error reporting files" but were also applications.  I deleted these manually (and from the trash), rebooted, and things were fine.