Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
6121 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2012 1:07 PM by kquinn99 RSS
twilightfox Newcomer 4 posts since
Jul 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 9, 2011 1:10 PM

Firewall immediately turns itself off

3 days ago, I was working on some projects, using google search.. I noticed suddenly i was being redirected to 2 sites, a Canadian pharmacy site, and 100k search site.

Suddenly, I received a pop-up that said my firewall was disabled.

I went into the McAfee Security system to renable it, and it immediately shuts itself down.

I ran a full virus scan and it came up clean.

I system restored hoping that would fix it.  Still having the error.

I've downloaded TDSSKiller hoping it would be able to find something and still not.

Any advice would be appreacited.. thanks

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,543 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    2. Jul 10, 2011 8:21 AM (in response to twilightfox)
    Re: Firewall immediately turns itself off

If you used System Restore did you try updating your McAfee software immediately afterwards?   Also you should install Internet Explorer 9 as it is inherently safer than IE8, even if you use another browser as your default as some processes use it.

Try running Stinger but read the 'How to use...' first as it has settings which can be varied.  http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx

There is another type of Stinger for Fake Alert Malware which can also be tried: http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/fake-alert-stinger.aspx - if you've seen any indications of this type of malware.

Both of these tools can't be updated once installed so one should uninstall them and reinstall for each use.

Lastly, you could try using the FREE version of THIS tool but update it first to make sure it's current before running.

It can be installed, updated and run in 'Safe Mode with Networking' if necessary to avoid any barriers thrown up by certain malware.  That mode is reached by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and selecting #2 on the ensuing menu.

If this proves to be malware I'll move this thread accordingly for better attention.

Let me know how it goes.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/07/11 9:21:16 EDT AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,543 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    4. Jul 11, 2011 12:59 PM (in response to twilightfox)

Never heard of that one, sure it wasn't trojan.generic?

Did you try the tool in the line starting with 'Lastly'?

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • kquinn99 Newcomer 1 posts since
    Jan 3, 2012
    5. Jan 3, 2012 1:07 PM (in response to twilightfox)

I had the same issue after a Trojan infected my PC.  I used Virus Scan to find the Trojan and remove it BUT there were two more suspicious files in my Downloads folder (where the Virus got in).  They were identifiied as "error reporting files" but were also applications.  I deleted these manually (and from the trash), rebooted, and things were fine.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points