4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2011 8:54 AM by Dinz

Scan Now doesn't Scan Now -- why?

When I click Scan Now, nothing happens. McAfee just immediately shows a screen saying I'm protected. I want to be able to Scan Now when I choose (even though it takes hours). How do I get McAfee to really Scan Now when I click the Scan Now button? Thanks for your help...

I am running...

McAfee Total Protection 11.0

build 11.0.506

last update: yesterday

McAfee Virus Scan 15.0

Build 15.0.288

laste update: yesterday

Windows 7 Home Premium

• 1. Re: Scan Now doesn't Scan Now -- why?
          Peacekeeper

Is this via right click shield and scan or opening the GUI and choosing a scan type?

Either way shouild work. You haven't another AV scanner active ie 1 say the paid version of Malwarebytes etc that has a real time scanning ability that will clash with Mcafee?

Other thought is did you update to the current version automatically that is you had the 2010 version and Mcafee updated to new version? If so it might be worth uninstallingh and reinstalling from your account as sometimes the update gets messed up.

Uninstall via below and reboot and reinstall the program

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 8/07/11 7:40:49 AM
          • 2. Re: Scan Now doesn't Scan Now -- why?

Thanks for your help. I don't have any conflicting AV programs installed (McAfee is the only one) but I did originally have Total Protection 2010 which was upgraded at some point to the current version. I don't believe, however, that I ever actually "got" a copy of the current version. I think it was just installed automatically for me by McAfee remotely over the Web. How do I "get" a copy of the current version of Total Protection to re-install? Thanks again...

Message was edited by: bb12305060 on 7/7/11 8:47:14 AM CDT
            • 3. Re: Scan Now doesn't Scan Now -- why?
              Peacekeeper

Go to your account and first check you have the program shown there.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=CS40024

Then uninstall via the link I gave above. Reboot and open you account and download the new version.

• 4. Re: Scan Now doesn't Scan Now -- why?
                Dinz

Hello there,

If you have reinstalled McAfee by now and still have the same problem, could you please try the below and provide us an update;

1. Click Start and select Search.
                2. In the Search box, type CMD and click OK.
                3. In the Search results window, right-click CMD and select Run as Administrator.
                4. In the command prompt, type REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL and press ENTER.
                5. After the confirmation message is displayed, type REGSVR32 VBSCRIPT.DLL and press ENTER.

Let us know what was the message after step 4 and 5 , if that was succeeded or could not load ???

Thanks,