4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 9:24 AM by JoeBidgood

ePO 4.5.4HF1 - Apache spikes CPU

redbaron51

hi all,

Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2

ePO 4.5.4 HF1

SQL 2005 STD fat

managed systems: approx. 2250

I have just noticed that Apache.exe (2.2.9.0) spikes the CPU for few seconds.

agent-to-server communication interval is the default 60min

Is this CPU spike normal, i.e., managed systems contacting ePO or is it something to worry about?

I noticed that the following logs:

...\Apache2\Logs\access_log (size was approx 2Gb)

...\Apache2\Logs\ssl_request_log (size was approx 2.2Gb)

Apparently patch4 brings a workaround to rotate the logs up to 5Mb in size, which is happening to access_log but not for ssl_request_log

I run procmon against the ePO box to try to pinpoint a pattern but find the result inconclusive really. a) Lots of network activity (clients contacting ePO - expected); b) File activity lots of entries to C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\logs\server.log (querystandardInformationFile and Write File); c) Some entries to C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Events\......PKG (WriteFile)

Comments are appreciated.

rb51

• 1. Re: ePO 4.5.4HF1 - Apache spikes CPU
          JoeBidgood

Occasional spikes are nothing to worry about: all processes require *some* CPU to do their job

If the process was continually running at, say, 80% or above, that would be worth investigating. Otherwise I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

HTH -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ePO 4.5.4HF1 - Apache spikes CPU
            redbaron51

thanks for the info Joe,

it is a kind of "constant" occasional spikes if you know what I mean. Top spike at around 70%

my only concern is that if you RDP or VM console into the box it kind of makes a bit of "unmanageable" (open SQL Studio, Windows Explorer, etc) as the CPU keeps spiking.

I shall keep an eye on this box.

Any other hints????

• 3. Re: ePO 4.5.4HF1 - Apache spikes CPU
              redbaron51

Is it normal to have to instances of Apache running?

From Windows Task Manager there are 2 instances with different PIDs one sitting idle and they other spiking.

I still believe there is something unusual going on here.

• 4. Re: ePO 4.5.4HF1 - Apache spikes CPU
                JoeBidgood

Yep, two instances of Apache is normal

See if you can identify what the machine is doing during the spikes: check the various log files for the time when a spike occurs, and see if there is anything that stands out. Apache does quite a lot in ePO, so you could be seeing things like a lot of machines communicating with the server, or pulling updates from the master repo - things like that.

HTH -

Joe