4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2011 5:21 PM by Peacekeeper Branched from an earlier discussion.

How to move a item from quarantine to trusted item?

Just got a new computer with McAfee preinstalled and, right away, some of my programs I've been using for years without a problem got quarantined.  Looking for a solution, I came across this thread.

As there seems to be no way to add a program or file to the trusted items list, I tried another way.  Disabling McAfee's heuristic virus detection algorithm did the trick for me.

Go to SecurityCenter->Navigation->Real-Time Scanning->Scan Settings->Extended Protection Section

and uncheck Scan for viruses by identifying threat patterns.

I know with certainty that my programs are not infected.  They've been running for years and checked clean by my previous antivirus programs (Symantec, Eset) which also use heuristic virus detection methods.  McAfee's method is either overzealous or deficient as it generates too many false positives.

Hope this solution helps, at least in some cases.

• 1. Re: How to move a item from quarantine to trusted item?
          exbrit

You posted in a very old thread so I branched it to its own under the Artemis umbrella hoping that someone from McAfee Labs will notice it. 

The latest version of VirusScan has limited trusting ability in Scheduled and Manual scanning only but not the real-time one.

By turning that off it makes VirusScan much less liable to catch anything new that may hit your machine.

Far better to follow the procedures outlined here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/07/11 3:40:51 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: How to move a item from quarantine to trusted item?
            By turning that off it makes VirusScan much less liable to catch anything new that may hit your machine.

I agree but McAfee does not leave me an option (I don't want to uninstall it quite yet since my two-years paid subscription only started).

Far better to follow the procedures outlined here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

Following your recommended procedure is a long-drawn process.  Analyzing the problem, correcting and testing the heuristic detection algorithm will take weeks at best, with no guarantee of a satisfactory result.  In the meantime, I can't use the affected programs.

The thing McAfee should do is to provide an option for the user to move an item from quarantine to the trusted items list.  That would take care of all the false positives and I wouldn't need to turn off heuristic detection.  As it is, I am glad it can be turned off.

• 3. Re: How to move a item from quarantine to trusted item?
              exbrit

Well that would be nice I agree, but in this world of particularly vicious malware which appears constantly renewing itself by the minute, the temptation most gamers, file sharers etc, would have to do that with malicious files, would be too great, and of course McAfee would get the blame for not protecting their machines when they finally crash.

A balance has to be struck.

I have submitted files in the past for approval and received an extra.dat to cover the detection within hours.

• 4. Re: How to move a item from quarantine to trusted item?
                Peacekeeper

Add that suggestion to the ideas forum . There is a need tobe able to  trust files.