3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2008 3:19 PM by Grif

Dell GX-745 with VirusScan 8.5i

Does any one else know about the video card issue with a Dell GX-745? We have been having to update our BIOS on all our workstations in our network because they are starting to show issues. Dell told us it's because of the Mcafee 8.5, but that seems unlikely to me. Any one heard of this before?
        • 1. RE: Dell GX-745 with VirusScan 8.5i
          Haven't heard.. Which card? Which driver for the card? (Since Dell seems to install their own belated drivers, does the card manufacturer have an updated driver fix?) Which operating system? Which patch is installed on the VS 8.5i installation? What issues do they say McAfee is causing?

Just curious.. If it's a Vista issue, then I'm certain your McAfee support folks would want to know..

Hope this helps.

Grif
          • 2. RE: Dell GX-745 with VirusScan 8.5i
            I actually need to contact our Hardware shop about the issue. They sent me an e-mail last night at about 4:30 about it and then left. They did forward me the "hotfix" e-mail from Dell (that had the BIOS upgrade, and all the technical info). I am a bit edgy about how much truth is in all this. The e-mail from Dell said that the issue was seen in workstations running Symantec *gasp* 10.1 but mention that they have seen it happen with other software packs. However our hardware tech that sent me the e-mail did say it seemed to fix the problem. When I get more info today I will let you all know.

It is not on vista however, they are all windows XP pro. The Mcafee we are pushing has no patches with it. It's just 8.5.0.

----------The following is the e-mail from Dell ----------------------

Most recent Bios:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releasei d=R174121&SystemID=PLX_PNT_P4_745&servicetag=2LRPXD1&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=162& devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=8&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=1&fileid=236439

Symantec Fix..

Optiplex 745 Heiden

o Dell Optiplex 745 computers cannot start in normal mode after installing Symantec AntiVirus 10.1

o We are also seeing this caused from other software updates

o Verify that the customer has Symantec AntiVirus installed. If so follow these steps.

1. Turn the optical drive sata controller off in the bios.

2. Boot into normal mode.

3. Flash or reflash the bios to the latest while the sata controller is still off and boot into normal mode

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/1998092408260848?Ope n&docid=2006103112061748&nsf=ent-security.nsf&view=0&seg=hm&lg=en&ct=us

4. Change the Auto-Protect Startup option to Symantec AntiVirus start

1. Start Symantec AntiVirus.

2. Click Configure > File System Auto-Protect.

3. Click Advanced.

4. In the Startup options section, click Symantec AntiVirus start.

5. Click OK.

5. Restart the computer.

6. Once Windows comes back up, and if all is well, boot into the bios and re enable the sata controller that was disabled in step 1 and reboot the system normally.

7 If this is NOT an issue with Norton but the system is still getting a black screen with installing any software please follow steps 1 though 3 and update the software. Example (if you installed adobe then update adobe)

8. Also if all the other fixes do not work try disabling one of the cores and have the system run for while, then go back into bios and re enable the core.

9. Run sfc /scannow once you get the computer into normal mode and windows should find the corrupted file and replace it.

10.Boot the computer up with a blank CD in the drive.
            • 3. RE: Dell GX-745 with VirusScan 8.5i
              Looks like a Symantec issue.. I'm not sure why they would say it's also McAfee??

Then again, why flash multiple computers with a new BIOS if not needed..

It WOULD be best if you installed the most recent Patch #4.. The Patches seem to fix many of the issues from the original install.

Let us know what you find.

Grif