Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
12318 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2011 12:36 AM by akl71 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
wwarren McAfee SME 766 posts since
Nov 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 30, 2011 2:01 PM

VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Patch 5 removed from download

Hey Folks,

We are in the process of removing the links to download 8.7i Patch 5.

Reason being, a sporadic BSOD issue has been confirmed to exist in that patch (driver versions 14.1.0.680).

This issue is timing related and rare to occur, but we've seen it enough times to reconsider our assessment, and that it warrants removal of the patch from further distribution.

A solution is in progress and expected in July, after which the patch will be reposted to the web to have that fix incorporated in it - and eliminate risk for customers needing to adopt Patch 5.

For those with patch 5 already, a hotfix will be available in about the 3rd week of July.

If you have experienced a sporadic BSOD since installing Patch 5, it's advised to contact McAfee Support so we can obtain needful details for escalation. You might be encountering this issue, and we have a proof-of-concept build that has had positive feedback that could be shared with you once the issue has been confirmed. The other alternate to avoiding the issue for the interim is to remove 8.7i and reinstall it without Patch 5 (and rebooting) - for that reason, packages for Patch 4 have been made available again.

Additional information has been written up for a public facing knowledgebase article, https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB77280

• aladdin9 Apprentice 81 posts since
    Nov 9, 2009

Suggestion - please add a Solution 3 to the KB article

Solution 3

For customers who want to downgrade to Patch 4

Patches cannot be uninstalled, so please uninstall VirusScan Enterprise and then reinstall VSE 8.7i with Patch 4 Repost

• uroberto Newcomer 15 posts since
    Dec 12, 2006

Thanks for the info.  I'll be testing patch 5 right away.  We're also testing Virusscan 8.8, but we are waiting for patch 1 to deploy. One thing that Mcafee Virusscan has not been great at is spyware/malware detection and removal. 

Message was edited by: uroberto on 10/7/11 8:54:04 AM GMT-05:00
  • thertkorn Newcomer 14 posts since
    Jan 4, 2009

Why ist the Hotfix 643440 still not available for download?

I opened a servcie request.... but i become no Hotfix 643440.

regards

Timo Hertkron

• jguenrdc Champion 246 posts since
    Dec 22, 2006

HF 643440 is still nowhere to be found.  Am I missing something?

• dmcgeary Newcomer 24 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011

If you need the HF you will need to contact McAfee Support

• jguenrdc Champion 246 posts since
    Dec 22, 2006

Actually, I just got a McAfee SNS email that P5 and the HF were available, so I checked the product download area and it is there now.

Message was edited by: jguenrdc on 10/18/11 2:08:26 PM CDT
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points