6 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2012 8:25 PM by kao

Encrypted USB that can support multiple users ?

willsonlebig

Hi all !

Can you tell me or give me a PDF concerning McAfee Encrypted USB that can support multiple users ?

Thanks you in advance !

• 1. Re: Encrypted USB that can support multiple users ?

sorry - it does not exist, because USB sticks are single user devices. Can you explain more about why you'd want to share them between multiple people?

• 2. Re: Encrypted USB that can support multiple users ?

SafeBoot wrote:

sorry - it does not exist, because USB sticks are single user devices. Can you explain more about why you'd want to share them between multiple people?

The older McAfee Encrypted USB devices supported multiple users/partitions.

I am trying to work out how to enable this with the new v2 MXI devices.  We require up to 3 encrypted partitions with different credetials for each partition.  This was possible.  Why has this functionality been removed in the more recent devices/software?

Message was edited by: kao on 01/05/12 02:29:14 CDT

Message was edited by: kao on 01/05/12 02:30:19 CDT
            • 3. Re: Encrypted USB that can support multiple users ?

It was removed as generally customers felt it was unneeded and over complicated. It's not possible, or supported with the current devices.

• 4. Re: Encrypted USB that can support multiple users ?

SafeBoot wrote:

It was removed as generally customers felt it was unneeded and over complicated. It's not possible, or supported with the current devices.

I don't buy that for a minute.

If you didn't want to use multiple partitions you could go with the default provisioning profile and never worry about it.  No added complexity.

What I'd guess as a more likely explanation is that McAfee didn't want to go to the expense of coding support for multiple provisioning profiles when they implemented ePO integration of the product.

As far as I can see the original code to support the multiple partitions is still in the software and just the GUI and administration interfaces have been modified to hide the functionality.

For instanace if you go to 'Hardware and Software Information' in the device software and select 'Disk Partitions'... the title for the list of encrypted partitions is 'Private Partitions' ... notice the plural.

As it is a major part of the functionality has been removed from the McAfee Encrypted USB system.

I can no longer create an additional partition to use to transfer data with others.  We used to be able to give our encrypted USB device to a client with the credentials for a 'client transfer' partition.  The client could take the device and use it how the felt like without us worrying about any of the information on the other encrypted partitions was accessible by them.

Instead I need to now use a 'public partition' which isn't encrypted.  Completely invalidating the reason for using an encrypted USB key.

• 5. Re: Encrypted USB that can support multiple users ?

You are kind of right - the expense of coding this was more than the value customers placed on the feature....

All functionality is good, well, for teccies anyway, but it has to be balanced by achieved revenue, that's the great complexity of software development.

• 6. Re: Encrypted USB that can support multiple users ?

I wonder which customers were consulted on this decision ... not any I have asked.

Has McAfee ever published and advertised this removal of this functionality anywhere to its customers?

And to trivialise the issue by adding "for teccies anyway" doesn't say much about how McAfee thinks of its customers.  Who other than a 'teccie' is going to be managing a fleet of encrypted USB devices through ePO?

Well, that just forces us to consider the alternatives.  IronKey here we come.  At least some vendors take functionality seriously and listen to their customers.

I'm a customer with hundreds of McAfee encrypted USB keys and indirectly thousands.  With how McAfee treats its existing customers on this issue, if we are forced to move to another vendor then we will look at all the McAfee family of products we licence.  There goes McAfee's revenue for all the Enpoint Protection, Data Protection and Email & Web Protection products too.

Anyway, I'm getting fed up having to explain to management the reason their corporations email isn't working is because of yet another dodgy DAT file issued by McAfee and mangement are getting tired of hearing it.

In reality this is just the straw that broke the camels back: McAfee customer service, quality control and account management is atrocious and we are fed up battling a company who isn't interested in its customers beyond the initial sale and $ in the bank.