1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2013 12:43 AM by xsouldeaths RSS

An unexpected problem occured during scan....

hmpetersen

I installed McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2011 onto my laptop. (dell Inspiron 9300 Windows XP SP 3 )

The installation was successul; however,

When I try to run a manual scan, I receive the following mesage:

"An unexpected problem occured during your scan.  Please click OK to go back to Home page and then try running your scan again"

I repeated this step several times with all 3 types of scans(quick/full/custom) and received the same message.

I de-installed AntiVirus Plus (using Add/Remove and MCPR.exe) and re-installed it.  The

problem still occurs.

I ran the "Mcafee Virtual Technician" program.  It reported "No Problems" found.

Any help would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: An unexpected problem occured during scan....
          Dinz

Hi hmpeterson,

Please let us know the below details and try below steps and try to run and sxan,

Check if you have any different virus scanners or security software in your add/remove programs  (Click on Uninstall if found)

Navigate through C:\program files & C:\program files\common files – Delete if you have any folder for a different security software viz (Norton/spybot /any other . .)

Open Internet explorer – Click on the tab Tools – Click on Internet options

Click on the option – Reset

Restart the computer once and try running a scan .

If the issue still occurs m please let us know the following information .

Open Internet explorer – Click on the tab Help – Click on About Internet explorer – Let us know the version and cipher strength from here

Open McAfee security center – Click On Navigation – Click on About – Let us know the version of McAfe Virus scan and DAT version

Regards,

• 2. Re: An unexpected problem occured during scan....
            hmpetersen

Thank you for responding.  I tried the following per you suggestion:

1.  Reviewed add/remove list.  No other virus scanners or security software was found.

2.Reviewed C:\program files and c:\program files\common files.  Deleted "superantispyware folder.

3. Opened IE.  clicked on Tools Tab, Internet Options, Advanced Tab & reset.  Restarted Computer.

4.Tried a quick, full, custom scan.  All failed as described previously.

5.Gathered information that you requested.

IE 8 Version 8.0.6001.18702

Cipher Strength 128-bit

Mcafee Virus Scan 15.0  Build 15.0.288

DAT Version 6388

• 3. Re: An unexpected problem occured during scan....
              Jayadeep NR
              • Remove existing McAfee Virtual Technician andrestart the computer
              • Please go to http://mvt.mcafee.com and run McAfee Virtual Technician on your computer.
              • Click on Fix button, if MVT found any problems on your computer.
              • Try to update McAfee manually and restart the computer

Please let me know the result after these steps.

on 27/6/11 12:59:39 PM IST
              • 4. Re: An unexpected problem occured during scan....
                hmpetersen

I removed MVT using the add/remove process and then re-installed using http://mvt.mcafee.com

I ran MVT.  It reported a problem which I said fix automatically.  DAT expected 6389, found 6388.  MVT did not update the DAT when I re-ran it a second time

I tried to update Mcafee manually.  No results.  In the update status, it reported current.  When i said run in background, no additional Mcafee product appeared to start and the status remained at current, completed, 0%.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

• 5. Re: An unexpected problem occured during scan....
                  Jayadeep NR

on 28/6/11 1:27:29 PM IST
                  • 6. Re: An unexpected problem occured during scan....
                    hmpetersen

I will re-install McAfee as you suggest.  Just so you know, I did determine yesterday that the MCafee Scan Service did not start after I installed Mcafee and re-booted my machine before.

When I manually start this service  "c:\program files\Mcafee\virus scan\mcdos.exe"  , I am able to scan my PC.  If I want re-run the scan or a differenet scan, I need to restart mcods.exe.........

• 7. Re: An unexpected problem occured during scan....
                      hmpetersen

Jayadeep,

I uninstalled the SW using Add/Remove and then MCPR.  I re-installed per your instructions.

No success / change.

The virus scan will not run manually?  By the way, how do I know if the auto scan is running?

How do I know if the update is running?

Thanks

• 8. Re: An unexpected problem occured during scan....
                        hmpetersen

Jayadeep............I believe I have a "good clue" as to why the scans do not start.  I need to know the "minimum" or "critical" microsoft services that need to be automatic or "manual" for the software to load and operate correctly.  My assumption at this point is that I have a disabled serice that is blocking the scans from starting.

What do you think?

hmpetersen

• 9. Re: An unexpected problem occured during scan....
                          hmpetersen

Hello...is there anybody out there?

1 2 Previous Next