1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 5:44 AM by Peter M

Time to give computer away, go the library, use theirs and save £59s?

I have McAfee Total Protection

I love my computer - but - in the past 12 months I have had several Virus.  I am on my own and just happy to e-mail, buy off internet, banking, search for things that interest me, et and NEVER go into un-secure sites only those approved by McAfee.  (Do not even use Facebook, Twitter, etc)

Now McAfee make me feel I am totally protected -

1. My machine goes on everyday so regularly updates.

2. My machine is set to do Full Scans.

3. I set system restore points every so often - why - don't really know but just think I am doing good.

4. I delete temp files, I defrag, not sure if there is anthing else I should do.

So just before Christmas I got a Virus so spent £59, to McAfee, after not being able to follow suggestions on here to get rid of it in the community although very grateful for people trying to help.

Two weeks ago I get a warning that my hard drive is crashing - so I phone DELL as it is under warranty.  No - a virus - so completly stressed out I pay them £129 for a 12month cover.  (This includes calling them another 4 times in that period for software issues.)  I decide this must be cheaper than £59 a go and it was within months the last one.

Monday - I get XP Antivirus 2012!!!!!!  Stops me doing anything but with the pop up boxes on the screen I am even able to run McAfee Full Scan.  The report comes back that I have no probelms.

This time I decided to try and get rid of it myself and I start my machine in Safe Mode and go to the Malwarebytes Icon left on my machine by the DELL remote techs.  I download updates and run a full scan.  It detects a Trojan.FakeAlert and it was quarantined and deleted successfully.

My question is -

This is all too time consuming for me and I do not have the knowledge required for these virus that seem to come from no-where and now so frequently.  I am really wondering if it is best to use my local library machine all though I would rather not as I enjoy the freedom my computer gives me.

So as I am not TOTALLY PROTECTED - why can't McAfee tell me what else I should have running with their program?  (Or are they waiting with for their £59s from people like me and cashing in on lack of software/virus knowledge.

Message was edited by: grandmagilly on 22/06/11 14:50:13 CDT
        • 1. Re: Time to give computer away, go the library, use theirs and save £59s?
          Peter M

Sorry you got infected but none of the major antiviruses are very good at fighting these fake-anti-malware entities, although they are working on it.

It's not up to McAfee to advise you on what other protection you need - that sort of advice is best sought from an independent anti-malware forum such as BleepingComputer or similar.

What I, as an unpaid volunteer here, can advise you is that you should be extra careful where you are surfing these days, keep Windows always up to date and keep some extra anti-malware tools on hand and updated just in case.

I use SpywareBlaster and MalwareBytes Free - links to which are on THIS page.

When something like these fake anti-malware pests strike it's best to remain calm and consider strategy.

Remember that Malwarebytes can be updated and run in 'Safe Mode with Networking' (reached by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up).

Also remember that System Restore is a great way of returning to a pre-infected state, as long as you update everything right afterwards and not forget to temporarily disable it afterwards if successful, so that the infected restore points are deleted, and it too can be initiated in any of the Safe Modes.

• 2. Re: Time to give computer away, go the library, use theirs and save £59s?

Thank you for your prompt reply.

OK - I understand what you are saying but I am completely in the dark as to how and what I 'run' alongside McAfee.  As I said I truly think the word Total Protection is mis-leading to someone like me.

1. I always thought that you should not run another 'whatever it is doing virus/? protection' alongside your installed and automatic updated McAfee.

2. I also when I get the message that tells me there are updates to install, informed by the yellow shield in bottom right hand corner, allow the updates.

3. I am always careful when surfing.

So can you please in simple terms give me an example of your procedure everyday after I have installed two other protection programs? (I do not hold you responsible - I am only asking for guidance.)

1. I can install something like the Free SpywareBlaster.  Is that the same as Rapport that is linked to my Bank as suggested by them and I have installed it?  Because if it is will these two programs conflict?

2. Keep the Free Malwarebytes on my computer and because it is free each morning go in an do an update before I start or after using machine?

Now assuming I get a Virus - I do stay calm (very cross though because I know the time and money involved) what is the correct procedure.

Sorry - see your last para not quite sure how i should carry out the procedure once infected so -

3. I start Safe Mode with Networking as I did this time BUT should I disable McAfee first and if so how?

4. What should I temporarily disable afterwards?

Thank you for trying to help.

P.S. I will look at the Bleeping Comp link.

Message was edited by: grandmagilly on 23/06/11 03:57:51 CDT

Message was edited by: grandmagilly on 23/06/11 04:00:37 CDT
            • 3. Re: Time to give computer away, go the library, use theirs and save £59s?
              Peter M

Rule of thumb is never run more than 1 each of software firewall and antivirus and be leery of any anti-malware that offers real-time protection because that can clash with McAfee.    SpywareBlaster is fine if kept updated regularly, and it's OK to subscribe to their auto-update feature if you want to.   Malwarebytes Free just needs to be updated when you intend on running it.

You've no need to disable anything to boot into Safe Mode with Networking as that automatically disables many things including McAfee SecurityCenter, although you can still initiate a virus scan by going to Computer (My Computer in XP) and right-clicking the drive and selecting 'Scan'   You can also right-click > Scan any file or folder in  that manner in any mode.

What I was saying is that Malwarebytes is unique in that it can be installed, updated and run all in that mode if need be.

If you get another of these fake anti-malware scares try Googling the name as BleepingComputer forums will usually have a tutorial on how to extricate yourself from it, and that can often be done also in that 'Safe Mode with Networking'.

I know it seems like a losing battle at times and believe me, I've been through it lots of times, but with help and patience one survives.   Of course there is always the drastic solution, wipe the hard drive clean by formatting it and reinstall everything from scratch, which is a real chore, I know.

Not to mention the hundreds of updates one then needs to reinstall.

If you want to get a good second opinion from malware removal experts for free, go to this link and follow the instructions for using Hijackthis nearer to the bottom.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/06/11 7:41:59 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: Time to give computer away, go the library, use theirs and save £59s?

Thank you for being so helpful. 

So -

1. I will keep Malwarebytes on my machine and keep updating - in case I am hit again.

2. If I download SpywareBlaster do you think it does the same job as the Bank recommends it is called Trusteer Rapport?  Would not want to double up are you able to check that one out for me as I would be happy to remove and install Spywareblaster if it does a better job?

3. Now I know I do not need to dis-able anything - however -when you write -

Also remember that System Restore is a great way of returning to a pre-infected state, as long as you update everything right afterwards and not forget to temporarily disable it afterwards if successful, so that the infected restore points are deleted, and it too can be initiated in any of the Safe Modes.

What I did, after MalwareBytes had got rid of Trojan, I then did a full scan with McAfee.  Then I set a new restore point.  What do I have to temporarily disable?

Have put a link in my Favourites for the Bleeping Computer Forum.

Thanks again.

Message was edited by: grandmagilly on 23/06/11 10:38:03 CDT
                • 5. Re: Time to give computer away, go the library, use theirs and save £59s?
                  Peter M

You could try their suggestion of Trusteer Rapport too.  That website says it can run alongside other applications so I would certainly take up their recommendation and from what I read on Trusteer's website, banks often tailor the application specifically to their needs, so yes I would try it.

That has made me wonder why my bank doesn't offer it!!

With System Restore, if you've used it to get out of an infected state, i.e. gone back in time so to speak, then it's a very good idea to temporarily turn off System Restore.  That deletes any infected restore points from your hard drive.

It only takes a few minutes to disable it and then re-enable it.

How to do it in XP:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

• 6. Re: Time to give computer away, go the library, use theirs and save £59s?

Many thanks again.

I have just downloaded Spyware Blaster 4.4 and my questions are if you are able to help -

1. It states - Internet Explorer: Protection Disabled - do I turn it on?

2. It states - Restricted Sites : Protection Disbaled - do I turn it on?

3. If I want automatic updates it looks like I have to pay - so now that it is download do I treat it like MalwareBytes e.g. If I have virus or whatever do I then go into my desktop icons and run each one BUT first downloading updates? 

Note: First though I would have checked on Bleeping Computer, if I am able to access it, to see if there are any tutorials on the particular threat i have encountered.

4. Finally should I run a scan in Spyware Blaster and Malwarebytes at intervals to see if anything is lurking?

I feel like I am trying to learn a foreign language.  

Your support very much appreciated.

• 7. Re: Time to give computer away, go the library, use theirs and save £59s?

Click the "Enable all protection" link near the bottom of the "Protection Status" page and Spyblaster will do the rest. I scan once a week with that app.

• 8. Re: Time to give computer away, go the library, use theirs and save £59s?

Thank you Blarty-fargo.  I have done that and now it states by Green Shield with tick in it - 'All protection is enabled and validated'.

So you run it once a week and I could do that - doing MalwareBytes at the same time.  Meanwhile let McAfee Total protection do the rest????

Again all support on here is very much appreciated.

• 9. Re: Time to give computer away, go the library, use theirs and save £59s?

Once a week run the Spyblaster program and click the "Updates" button, bottom left. Then click "Check for updates". If updates are downloaded, click protection status shield will turn yellow. Click the yellow shield and then click "Enable all protection"  - the shield will then turn green. Do the above once a week.

I run these apps once a week before doing a full backup...

SpyBlaster

MalwareBytes

Spybot

Adaware

I know it look a lot - but between them they get ost malware.

As you may know from my other posts, I was having McAfee problems with XP box. McAfee was causing Windows FIle Protection to trigger and overwrite some system files, including my ATI drivers. I have switched to Kaspersky now and am loving it.

1 2 Previous Next