1 2 3 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2011 11:56 PM by pathfindertech

EPO 4.6 failing to download software product list.

Grumpy

Hi,

I've had version 4.6 up and running nicely, then since 9th June every download software product task has failed.

Error log shows:

6/9/11 1:00:59 AM Started: Download Software Product List
      6/9/11 1:00:59 AM Downloading file C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\DB\licensed_products_list.xml.tmp.
      6/9/11 1:00:59 AM Downloading file C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\DB\trial_products_list.xml.tmp.
      6/9/11 1:03:00 AM Failed to download file C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\DB\licensed_products_list.xml.tmp. There was an error connecting to the server (12030).
      6/9/11 1:03:07 AM Failed to download file C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\DB\trial_products_list.xml.tmp. There was an error connecting to the server (12030).
      6/9/11 1:03:07 AM Failed to connect to the Software Catalog server.
      6/9/11 1:03:07 AM Completed: Download Software Product List (Failed to download the products list due to "Failed to connect to the Software Catalog server.")

Has anyone got any thoughts on where to look for the source of this issue?

Regards

Gary

• 1. Re: EPO 4.6 failing to download software product list.
          Grumpy

A bit more info.

Wintel error code     12030     Error_internet_connection_aborted      The connection with the server hs been terminated

If I try to run the task manually, it fails but with different error codes:

Error log from EpoApSvr

20110621144924     I     #17908     DOWNLOADJNI     Downloading File C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\DB\licensed_products_list.xml.tmp.
          20110621144924     I     #17908     MCUPLOAD     Connecting directly to server epo.mcafee.com.
          20110621144924     I     #17908     MCUPLOAD     Successfully disabled CA trust options.
          20110621144924     I     #17940     DOWNLOADJNI     Downloading File C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\DB\trial_products_list.xml.tmp.
          20110621144924     I     #17940     MCUPLOAD     Connecting directly to server epo.mcafee.com.
          20110621144924     I     #17940     MCUPLOAD     Successfully disabled CA trust options.
          20110621144928     I     #17940     DOWNLOADJNI     Finished Downloading File C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\DB\trial_products_list.xml.tmp (276 bytes).
          20110621144928     I     #17908     DOWNLOADJNI     Finished Downloading File C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\DB\licensed_products_list.xml.tmp (276 bytes).

Task error log

6/21/11 2:49:24 PM  Started: Download Software Product List 

6/21/11 2:49:24 PM  Downloading file C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\DB\licensed_products_list.xml.tmp. 

6/21/11 2:49:24 PM  Downloading file C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\DB\trial_products_list.xml.tmp. 

6/21/11 2:49:28 PM  Successfully downloaded file C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\DB\trial_products_list.xml.tmp. 

6/21/11 2:49:28 PM  Successfully downloaded file C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\DB\licensed_products_list.xml.tmp. 

6/21/11 2:49:28 PM  There was an unknown error downloading the file from the Mcafee server (error=999). 

6/21/11 2:49:28 PM  Completed: Download Software Product List (Failed to download the products list due to "There was an unknown error downloading the file from the Mcafee server (error=999).") 

Any thoughts?

Regards

Gary

• 2. Re: EPO 4.6 failing to download software product list.
            JoeBidgood

Have you got any kind of proxy or security appliance between the ePO server and the outside world? I find it a bit suspicious that both the trial and licensed list files both come back at 276 bytes - to me that would imply its some sort of "you must be authorised" banner file coming back from a proxy, for example...

HTH -

Joe

• 3. Re: EPO 4.6 failing to download software product list.

Hi Gary i am having the same error as you have in your 2nd post.

I installed ePO new (its never been installed here before) and i had no errors however when i load the epo client it goes through the walkthrough and the very first step of software selection i have a screen which says "The product catalog has not been downloaded yet".

I click on Refresh software product list and another message says "There was an unknown error downloading the file from the mcafee server (error=999).

Any ideas?

• 4. Re: EPO 4.6 failing to download software product list.
                Grumpy

Hi Joe,

I've had a look at the downloaded licensed and trial, list xml tmp files and both have the same contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<SoftwareCatalogProducts xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

<ReturnCode>999</ReturnCode>

<Message>Unknown Error</Message>

<Products />

</SoftwareCatalogProducts>

There's no proxy or anything else that would prevent communication. This used to work until the 9th.

Regards

Gary

• 5. Re: EPO 4.6 failing to download software product list.
                  JoeBidgood

That would explain why they're both the same size, of course

I've tried it now and can't reproduce the problem - and I can't find anything relevant that's been reported, either.

Stupid question, but if you restart the ePO services and then try to run the task again, what happens?

Thanks -

Joe

• 6. Re: EPO 4.6 failing to download software product list.

No change for me when i restart the services.

My 2 *.tmp files are the same as Gary's.

• 7. Re: EPO 4.6 failing to download software product list.
                      JoeBidgood

Hm. Really not sure then

Can you get a wireshark trace of an attempted task? I'm interested to see if the xml file is coming from the epo.mcafee.com server, or if it's being locally created by ePO as a result of some other failure...

Thanks -

Joe

• 8. Re: EPO 4.6 failing to download software product list.

I would love to.

How do i do that then

• 9. Re: EPO 4.6 failing to download software product list.
                          JoeBidgood

Ah

Wireshark is a packet sniffer, which can record the actual traffic that goes over the wire. You'll need to download and install WireShark on a machine - the ePO server would probably be easiest - and then set it capturing, run the task, and then save the capture file. If you can post the pcap file, we can have a look.

Thanks -

Joe

(If you're not happy posting a wire capture to a public forum, let me know and we'll figure out something else.)

1 2 3 Previous Next